A First Look at Spider-Man the Musical
By Moviefone Editors Posted Nov 16th 2010 12:59AM
'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,' the long awaited Spider-man musical was, to many, an elaborate joke which would never see the light of day. But now, details of the fabled musical have been released. According to Vogue, the Spider-man musical is the most expensive Broadway production to date with an estimated $60 million budget. The musical would feature Spider-man's origin story, much like the first Spider-man film directed by Sam Raimi.
But this version would be directed by Julie Taymor who is best known for 'The Lion King' musical. The villains would include The Green Goblin, Swiss Miss, Carnage, and a 'new super-villain drawn from Greek mythology' who will all be singing about how much they want to kill Peter Parker.
The musical will feature music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge of U2. It also has Spider-man web-slinging around the theater at speeds of 40 M.P.H. The show also has 37 sets which involve shadow puppets, forced perspective and buildings the size of the Chrysler Building.
The production of the musical had been plagued with problems and delays since readings for the musical were first held in 2007. An opening night of December 21, 2010 was scheduled, but it has been delayed yet again until January 2011.
Evan Rachel Wood and Alan Cumming were originally cast as Mary Jane Watson and the Green Goblin, but both pulled out of the production when the show was delayed. Now Reeve Carney will play the Peter Parker/Spider-man with Patrick Page as the Green Goblin, Jennifer Damiano as Mary Jane Watson. Get more at Cinematical.
- Filed under:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' tops Labor Day, summer box office
- FBI, Apple begin inquiries into nude celebrity photo leaks
- Carrie Underwood announces she is pregnant with her first child
- Focus World Acquires Julianne Moore's 'Maps to the Stars'
- Frances McDormand: "90 Minutes Is Not Enough Time to Tell a Female Story"
- Raycom Media Stations Go Dark on DirecTV
- Patrick Duffy talks Lynda Carter crush, reason he'd kill Gabe Kaplan
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies
- Summer Box Office 2014: What Went Wrong?
- The Cast of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Does the Baby Groot Dance (VIDEO)
- What Makes a Great TV Series Finale?