Friends Not Surprised by Eva and Tony's Divorce
By Rob Shuter Posted Nov 18th 2010 05:23PM
Just three years after their fairytale wedding in a French castle, Eva Longoria filed for divorce from basketball star Tony Parker citing irreconcilable differences. Several guests who attended the wedding tell me they are surprised it lasted this long.
"Neither one of them wanted to get married for the right reasons in the first place," a friend of the couple tells me, revealing that after Eva found overnight success on 'Desperate Housewives,' she became dizzyingly attracted to fame.
"After seeing all the attention Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' wedding had received she wanted the same," my source notes. "And Tony just happened to be the right man in the right place at the right time."
Also Not Surprised? Folks on the Street:In 2007, I was working at the weekly magazine that secured the exclusive access and images to the too-good-to-be-true wedding, where fireworks lit up the sky at Chateau of Vaux le Vicomte, a 17th Century castle on the outskirts of Paris. I remember scouring through hundreds of images desperately trying to find a picture of the couple looking happy on their big day. It was much harder than it should have been.
"Tony spent most of the day listening to music on his iPod when not being pushed into pictures, while Eva spent the entire evening hanging with her friends and dancing," a wedding guest tells me. "Tony seemed confused by the circus Eva had assembled."
After only one year, cracks were already starting to show as cheating rumors circulated, but reluctant to give up her Hollywood fairytale, Eva stood by her man.
Finally, after recently discovering more evidence of Tony cheating, Eva couldn't keep up the façade any longer.
"She has been going home to an empty house for way too long," a friend of Eva's tells me. "Finally the charade is over and we can all stop pretending."
► Something Fishy About How the Eva Longoria Divorce Story Went Down
Ultimately, Eva's friends think she's positioned to thrive as a single girl. "She has grown up a lot in the past three years," her friend reveals.
The couple, who married in 2007, have no children together and have a prenuptial agreement. Currently, the word around town is that Tony and Eva agreed to split after she found hundreds of spicy text messages between the San Antonio Spur and Erin Barry, the wife of a former teammate.
Tony finally responded to the controversy on Thursday night, telling PEOPLE that he wasn't blindsided by Eva's filing at all. "Eva and I have been discussing our situation privately," he said. "I was aware that she would be filing for divorce in Los Angeles."
He also addressed other rumors about the split: "I did not file for divorce in Texas and did not hire divorce attorneys in either Texas or California. We plan to continue to keep our discussions of this matter private."
Eva Longoria Snapshots
FILE - In this Jan. 28, 2007 file photo, Eva Longoria, right, and Tony Parker arrive at the 13th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles. Less than four years after a storybook wedding in Paris, Eva Longoria filed court papers Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010, to divorce basketball star Tony Parker, citing irreconcilable differences. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, file)
MORE ABOUT Eva Longoria
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Eva Longoria Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kevin Bacon Tries to Explain Dating in the '80s to Millennials: Star Talks Rubik's Cube, White Pages, and the Cold War in Viral Video
- Sophia Bush Smolders in Mesh Corset on Maxim Cover: "You're Supposed to Be Growing and Exploring New Things" In Your 20s
- Brandi Glanville on Lisa Vanderpump Real Housewives Feud: "I Fed That Bitch"
- Brandi Glanville's New Foul Mouthed Rant: I’ve Done More For ‘That [Bleep]‘ Lisa Vanderpump Than She’s Done For Me
- Buoyed By Oscar-Nominated Film, Real Philomena Lee To ‘Battle With Ireland’s Supreme Court’ For Reform
- TMI: The Duggars Reveal Michelle’s Baby Breakdown ? She Had 13 Regular Births In A Row And 4 C-Sections!
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Justin Bieber gets May 5 trial date for DUI and other Florida charges
- Bratty Justin Bieber heading for career ruin?
- Crisis Sneak Peek: Gillian Anderson and Rachael Taylor Are Estranged Sisters...With a Secret?
- Robin Thicke Parties With Leonardo DiCaprio for 37th Birthday After Paula Patton Split
- Craziest Celebrity Bachelor Tweets; Nikki Ferrell Tells Haters to "Be Ashamed of Yourselves"