Daniel Day-Lewis to Play Lincoln for Spielberg
By Moviefone Editors Posted Nov 20th 2010 02:12PM
Though Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln biopic has been delayed over the past several years, with Liam Neeson originally slated to play the 16th President of the United States before eventually dropping out because, as he suggested, "I'm past my sell-by date," the project is back on track, and making news.
This week, producers have announced that two-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis has officially signed on to portray Lincoln on the big screen.
Spielberg certainly seems to feel he has one legend taking on the role of another.
"Daniel Day-Lewis would have always been counted as one of the greatest of actors, were he from the silent era, the golden age of film or even some time in cinema's distant future. I am grateful and inspired that our paths will finally cross with 'Lincoln,'" said the director in a statement.
Indeed, could there be anyone in Hollywood better suited to play Lincoln than Day-Lewis?
He's one of only a handful of top-notch actors who has a way of losing himself in a role that goes far beyond expectations. The man is absolutely fascinating to watch on screen, and particularly in period films (such as 2002's 'Gangs of New York' and 2007's 'There Will Be Blood').
The long-awaited film, which Deadline says will begin filming next fall, will "focus on the political collision of Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition and the end of the Civil War." The plan right now is to begin filming in time for a release during the 2012 awards season, and it's not jumping the gun to predict that 'Lincoln' is already a contender for Best Picture that year, even though we're months away from production. Tony Kushner, the writer behind 'Angels in America' and 'Munich,' is the screenwriter of the film adaptation based on the 2005 best-seller 'Team of Rivals,' written by Pulitzer-prize-winning historian (and 'Daily Show' favorite) Doris Kearns Goodwin.
Just the thought of the world's most famous director teaming up with arguably the world's finest actor should send shivers down the spine of every film fan alive. Count our opening day tickets already sold.
Read more from Moviefone >>>
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Which celebrity is the worst role model for kids?
- Celebrity scale: Better skinny or curvy?
- Paula Deen admits in deposition to using N-word, telling racist jokes, report says
- CBS Ups Glenn Geller to Head of Current Programming at Network and Studio
- Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced to Prison for Tax Evasion
- Sandra Bullock Will Not Play Miss Hannigan in 'Annie'
- George Lucas has not spoken to J.J. Abrams about the next ?Star Wars'
- ?Franklin & Bash' star Breckin Meyer takes the EW Pop Culture Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Katy Perry says Russell Brand asked for a divorce via text message
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Robert Davi on 'The Great Chameleon,' and How It Pushes the Boundaries of Political Correctedness
- Will Russell Crowe Finally Make His Directorial Debut?
- Family Movie Mistakes: 21 'Oops' Moments Everyone Can Enjoy (PHOTOS)