'Deathly Hallows' Has Biggest Opening in 'Harry Potter' History
By Christine Fenno Posted Nov 21st 2010 05:00PM
It's the biggest opening weekend in the franchise's history. In comparison, the previous installment, 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,' had a $77.8 million weekend opening in July 2009.
On Friday evening, the new release's midnight screenings alone generated a record $24 million, according to the Hollywood Reporter. That's a very lively night for 'Deathly' fans.
The first six 'Harry Potter' films have collectively made $5.4 billion in global box office sales.
"One of the greatest accomplishments here is that we have been able to age the franchise," said Dan Fellman, domestic distribution president of Warner Brothers. "We have been able to keep our fan base as the characters have aged and the movies have become darker. And the three main actors [Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint] have become really terrific, adult actors."
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2,' the franchise's swan song, is scheduled to open nationwide on July 15, 2011. Producers will reportedly craft a 3-D version for fans, to celebrate the final film in the series.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Filed under:
- Movie News
MORE ABOUT Daniel Radcliffe
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Daniel Radcliffe Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tim McGraw: My wild night with Kid Rock
- Report: Miss America Kira Kazantsev kicked out of sorority for hazing
- Then/Now: The cast of 'Friends'
- China Box Office: 'Planet of the Apes' Reigns as 'Non-Stop' Opens Strongly
- Netflix Refuses to Provide Confidential Data to Canadian Regulator
- 'The Voice' Season 7 Premiere Recap: Gwen Stefani, Pharrell Make Competitive Debuts
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- 5 Reasons You Should Give 'Gotham' a Try
- Stephen King's '11/22/63' Heading to Hulu
- 20 Random 'Friends' Facts Every Fan Should Know