'Deathly Hallows' Has Biggest Opening in 'Harry Potter' History
By Christine Fenno Posted Nov 21st 2010 05:00PM
It's the biggest opening weekend in the franchise's history. In comparison, the previous installment, 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,' had a $77.8 million weekend opening in July 2009.
On Friday evening, the new release's midnight screenings alone generated a record $24 million, according to the Hollywood Reporter. That's a very lively night for 'Deathly' fans.
The first six 'Harry Potter' films have collectively made $5.4 billion in global box office sales.
"One of the greatest accomplishments here is that we have been able to age the franchise," said Dan Fellman, domestic distribution president of Warner Brothers. "We have been able to keep our fan base as the characters have aged and the movies have become darker. And the three main actors [Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint] have become really terrific, adult actors."
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2,' the franchise's swan song, is scheduled to open nationwide on July 15, 2011. Producers will reportedly craft a 3-D version for fans, to celebrate the final film in the series.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Filed under:
- Movie News
MORE ABOUT Daniel Radcliffe
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Daniel Radcliffe Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' tops Labor Day, summer box office
- FBI, Apple begin inquiries into nude celebrity photo leaks
- Carrie Underwood announces she is pregnant with her first child
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: One Guy vs. Three Women
- China Box Office: Monkeys Do The Business as ?Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Rules Supreme
- Focus World Acquires Julianne Moore's 'Maps to the Stars'
- 100 things that apparently happened, as told by ?The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story'
- Patrick Duffy talks Lynda Carter crush, reason he'd kill Gabe Kaplan
- 12 lessons we learned from 2014's summer movies
- Summer Box Office 2014: What Went Wrong?
- The Cast of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Does the Baby Groot Dance (VIDEO)
- What Makes a Great TV Series Finale?