Prince William Will Have Most Expensive Wedding of All Time -- And Guess Who's Paying?
By Rob Shuter Posted Nov 22nd 2010 11:45AM
Although no date has been officially confirmed yet, the costs of putting on a royal wedding for Prince William and Kate Middleton next year have already started to add up, leading many to confirm this will be the most expensive celebrity wedding of all time.
"When all is said and done, this wedding will likely cost the British taxpayers over $20 million dollars," a royal insider tells me. "It will be the biggest wedding of all time, even bigger than William's mum, Diana's -- and the price will be bigger, too."
We are no strangers to expensive celebrity weddings. Back in 1991, when Elizabeth Taylor married construction worker Larry Fortensky at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch, the estimated cost was $2 million. A similar price tag was put on Tom Cruise's magical wedding in 2006 to Katie Holmes -- Italy's 15th-century Odescalchi Castle outside Rome did not come cheap, and neither did Katie's off-the-shoulder silk gown, which was personally designed for her by Giorgio Armani. Not to be outdone, Elizabeth Hurley's 2007 wedding to Arun Nayar cost more than $2.5 million, with extravagant, around-the-world festivities spanning over a week.
Surprisingly, former Beatle Paul McCartney and now-ex-wife Heather Mills' wedding ranks as the second most expensive celebrity wedding with a price tag of over $3 million for the affair in Ireland.
However, William and Kate's costs will crush the estimated $3.5 million record-holders, Liza Minnelli and David Gest, who said "I do" in 2002 in New York City.
"You really can't compare this wedding to any other celebrity's," a Hollywood insider tells me. "The only other couple in the world that might even come close is if Brad and Angelina got married, but even then this will be bigger."
William, said to be concerned about the extravagance of his wedding in a time of such high unemployment in Britain, need not worry as the amount of tourism money and other related earnings this special day will bring into the country will be ... yes, priceless.
See a video of Rob speaking with 'Extra' about the royal wedding.
PopEater hit the street to gauge reactions on the royal engagement:
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Highbrow -
- Hottest Stories -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Prince William
MORE ABOUT Prince William
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Prince William Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bachelor After the Final Rose Recap: Juan Pablo Can't Say "I Love You"
- Andi Dorfman Named Bachelorette for Season 10!
- Bachelor Season 18 Finale Spoiler: Does Juan Pablo Pick Nikki Ferrell or Clare Crawley?
- There Goes The Neighborhood? Miley Cyrus Wants To Buy Lake Como Home Near Her ‘Crush,’ George Clooney
- Team Channing! Jennifer Aniston Wants ?Sexy’ Tatum To Be Her Next Leading Man
- ?The Bachelor' recap: Juan Pablo makes his choice in awkward, unprecedented finale
- Miley Cyrus fan sneaks into star's dressing room, leaves note, police say
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Seth Rogen and Jimmy Kimmel Spoof True Detective Season 2—Watch Now!
- Beauty and the Beast's Sexy Reunion, How I Met Your Mother's Big Secret Revealed and More OMG TV Moments
- The Bachelor Finale Recap: Did Juan Pablo Choose Nikki or Clare? Plus, Find Out if They're Still Together!