Will.I.Am Explains His Lego-Based American Music Awards Outfit
By Jonathan Dekel Posted Nov 22nd 2010 05:00PM
Black Eyed Peas' Will.I.Am has always had a flair for eccentric fashion, displaying a wide range of outfits throughout his career that manage to reflect his out-there aesthetic. And while he's been known to wear fashionably freaky get-ups onstage, the musical mastermind really lets his freak flag fly at awards shows -- sometimes to the point of racial insensitivity like he did with his "blackface" outfit at this year's MTV Video Music awards.
Last night's American Music Awards were no exception. Will appeared in what appeared to be a PVC jacket and both a hat and bling made out of Lego blocks. "I'm wearing Viva la Lego," the singer and producer joked backstage.
Perhaps with the controversy of his past awards-show sartorial decisions in mind, he went on to explain the deeper meaning behind his building blocks-based outfit. "I like wearing a Lego hat because I'm always thinking about connecting things," he said. "Keeping things connected to the world, that's the whole thing. It's the building blocks of life."
The Black Eyed Peas took home the award for Favorite Pop/Rock Band, Duo or Group and performed their new single 'This Time (The Dirty Bit)' off their upcoming album 'The Beginning.'
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Frasier's' David Hyde Pierce joins ?The Good Wife'
- Blake Shelton: 'I gotta get back to singing about getting drunk' on new album
- Martina McBride and Billy Ray Cyrus team up to honor the Beatles
- ?Rock Band' developer debuts a game for wannabe dream exorcists
- Poll: Which ?Walking Dead' magazine cover is your favorite?
- Britney Spears Splits from BF, Tweets About ?Single Life'
- 'Extra' Trend Spotter: Fab Dresses from Gabriella Rocha!
- Stars in Bikinis! Kim K, Kendall Jenner, Selena Gomez and Other Hotties
- Jennifer Aniston Admits Drinking Jimmy Kimmel's Wife's Breast Milk, "It's Almost Coconut-Milky"
- Britney Spears Talks "Sh--ty Day" After David Lucado Split, Still Manages to Smile
- Miley Cyrus's Homeless MTV VMAs Date Jesse Helt Turns Himself in to Police, Cyrus Helps Pay for Legal Help