Extra host Mario Lopez found his defining moment far from the glitz of Hollywood. "Growing up, probably the time I joined the Boys Club. The neighborhood I grew up in wasn't the most upscale neighborhood with a lot of potential to get in trouble," says the star who first became a household name to a generation playing heartthrob A.C. Slater on 'Saved by the Bell.' "Joining helped me stay on the right track and introduce me to a lot of great people and mentors that are still important to this day. It exposed me to wrestling which is still a major part of my life. It was just an atmosphere that was conducive to prospering to whatever you wanted to get involved in because they had people who really cared about kids and that's why they are important to my life today and why I'm a big part of the organization." Get More on the Boys and Girls Club of America
Joining [the Boys Club] helped me stay on the right track and introduce me to a lot of great people and mentors that are still important to this day.
Lopez also found inspiration even closer to home. "I think growing up you have moments in your life that can really shape the way your life is going to be from that point onward and moments that are going to determine the type of individual you are really going to become and aside from joining the Boys Club -- which really helped because I was a hyper kid and got in a lot of trouble and it helped me stay on the right track -- I think a lot of the talks that my mother and I had. I'm a proud momma's boy and she painted a clear picture of what was right and what was wrong and being a man that could be held accountable for his actions."
So does Mario consider himself an actor, a reality star or TV host? "I have fun doing all forms of entertainment," Lopez tells us. "That's why I never wanted to limit myself or be pigeonholed into one particular area. But I think hosting comes the most natural because you've just got to be yourself and I've been me all my life and I like talking to people so if I had to choose with a gun to my head, I'd probably say host." Watch more of Mario on Extra
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs Separate After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' Ex, Expecting Baby Number Six with Wife Victoria Prince
- Kim Kardashian Debuts Post-Baby Bikini Body, Drew Barrymore Reveals She's Having Another Baby Girl: Top 5 Wednesday Stories
- They’re Good As Gold! Kim Kardashian Calls Kanye West The ‘Most Romantic, Sweetest Person’ She’s Ever Met
- Rachael Ray's cousin blames TV chef's family for tragic death of her mother
- Nigella Lawson blurts 'I am not a drug addict,' cop says
- 'Duck Dynasty' triple threat: Robertsons hunt, sing, and act in Christmas special
- Lea Michele Talks About Cory Monteith's Death in First TV Interview: "He Would Want Me to Live My Life"
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Review Roundup: Critics Can't Find Middle Ground on Middle-earth
- Mena Suvari's Awkward Christmas Card With Her Boyfriend and Cat Is Absolute Perfection—Take a Look!