'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood's Baby Now a Ward of State
By Christo Varghese Posted Nov 24th 2010 06:05AM
According to RadarOnline.com, Portwood and ex-fiance Gary Shirley appeared in an Anderson, Indiana, courtroom Tuesday afternoon for an emergency child placement hearing concerning their 2-year-old daughter.
A source says, "Leah is a ward of the state," meaning the Department of Child Services will assess Leah's living situation (she is currently staying with Shirley).
A ward of the state is an adult or child whose guardianship is determined by a judge, who appoints a government agency to oversee the child's affairs.
The Indiana Department of Child Services supervised Portwood's visit with Leah at Gary's house on Tuesday after court.
Portwood has been in a lot of trouble lately. Images of her drinking underage recently surfaced online and she is being investigated for domestic violence for allegedly assaulting Shirley.
Portwood, who has a new boyfriend, cage fighter Clinton Yunkers, reportedly left Leah with Gary recently, believing her daughter would be better off with him for the time being.
If found guilty of the domestic violence charges, Portwood could face up to three years in jail and fines of up to $10,000.
'Teen Mom' Snapshots
'Teen Mom' star Maci and fellow teen mom Bristol Palin posed together at an event in New York City on May 5. Check out more 'Mom' photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Real Housewives of New York City's Heather Thomson Hints Sonja Morgan Lied About How She Hurt Her Leg
- Ryan Dorsey, Naya Rivera's New Husband: 5 Things to Know
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Set to Marry in New Movie By the Sea
- RHONJ’s Jacqueline Laurita’s Daughter Ashlee Holmes Stars In Controversial Music Video ? Disses Kim Kardashian!
- Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’– Featurette: Meet Peter Quill
- Three-Of-A-Kind: Ramona Singer, Heather Thomson, LuAnn De Lesseps Recall Aviva Drescher's Prosthesis Removal
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Adele's 1-year-old son wins lawsuit against paparazzi
- Can Blake Lively out-Paltrow Gwyneth with new lifestyle site?