'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood's Baby Now a Ward of State
By Christo Varghese Posted Nov 24th 2010 06:05AM
According to RadarOnline.com, Portwood and ex-fiance Gary Shirley appeared in an Anderson, Indiana, courtroom Tuesday afternoon for an emergency child placement hearing concerning their 2-year-old daughter.
A source says, "Leah is a ward of the state," meaning the Department of Child Services will assess Leah's living situation (she is currently staying with Shirley).
A ward of the state is an adult or child whose guardianship is determined by a judge, who appoints a government agency to oversee the child's affairs.
The Indiana Department of Child Services supervised Portwood's visit with Leah at Gary's house on Tuesday after court.
Portwood has been in a lot of trouble lately. Images of her drinking underage recently surfaced online and she is being investigated for domestic violence for allegedly assaulting Shirley.
Portwood, who has a new boyfriend, cage fighter Clinton Yunkers, reportedly left Leah with Gary recently, believing her daughter would be better off with him for the time being.
If found guilty of the domestic violence charges, Portwood could face up to three years in jail and fines of up to $10,000.
'Teen Mom' Snapshots
'Teen Mom' star Maci and fellow teen mom Bristol Palin posed together at an event in New York City on May 5. Check out more 'Mom' photos >>
Getty Images North America
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tumblr Dress Debate: Is This Dress White and Gold or Blue and Black? Every Celeb ? and Person ? On the Internet Is Freaking Out
- Kim Kardashian, Rita Ora Attend Same Party in Nearly Identical Pink Latex Dresses -- See the Pics!
- Amanda Peet Has Gotten "Hate Mail" Over Her Pro-Vaccination Beliefs
- Kanye West tweets apology to Beck for Grammys stagecrashing incident
- Woman asks about dress color, Internet loses collective mind
- FOX411's pic of the day