Michael Douglas' Miracle Cure? Wife Catherine
By Rob Shuter Posted Nov 29th 2010 12:00PM
Michael Douglas, who is recovering from treatment for throat cancer, couldn't have looked any better when he stepped out a few days ago with his beautiful family at a pair of Florida theme parks, leaving many to wonder: what is his secret? Medicine or Florida's golden sunshine? Maybe a little of both, however, friends tell me his miracle cure is wife Catherine Zeta-Jones.
"The trip was Michael's idea. He wanted to take Catherine and the kids to the happiest place on earth after the hell the entire family has been through," a friend of the couple's tells me.
Which explains why they all visited all of the Walt Disney World parks and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter on their family vacation. Judging from the joyous photos of Carys, 7, and Dylan, 10, whizzing around on roller coasters with their folks, they all had a great time.
"Michael couldn't look or feel healthier," a friend of the actor tells me. "After eight weeks of radiation and chemotherapy and a long time at home recuperating in his NYC apartment, Michael wanted to have some fun with his family."
Happiness aside, cancer has changed the legendary 'Wall Street' actor forever and according to friends, the ordeal has brought the family man even closer to his wife and kids.
"Now he knows how lucky he is every day to be surrounded by his amazing wife and children," Michael's pal reveals. "It's something he will never take for granted again."
For a man who has admitted to sacrificing fatherhood for his career, it will never happen again.
Michael announced on Aug. 16 that a walnut-sized tumor had been discovered in his throat after he noticed his voice had become hoarse and he was having trouble swallowing. "I am very optimistic," Douglas said in a statement at the time.
His optimism was well founded and after eight rigorous weeks of chemotherapy and radiation treatment and another six weeks of check-ups, the actor is in a position to beat the cancer.
"It's been very difficult," his publicist Allen Burry said last month. The rep adds that doctors "are very pleased with how he responded to treatment. They think he's doing really well."
By the looks on his face while vacationing in Florida this past week, who couldn't agree that he's here to stay?
The Indestructible Michael Douglas
Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas pose with their children, Dylan and Carys, along with Mickey and Minnie Mouse, in front of Epcot in Florida on November 24. More Vacation Pics >>
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Good News -
- Highbrow -
- Movie News -
- Health Issues -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
MORE ABOUT Michael Douglas
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Michael Douglas Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'X-Men' director calls sex abuse lawsuit a shakedown
- FOX411's pic of the day
- James Franco on his 'intimate' selfies: 'It's not like I'm exposing myself'
- It's Official: 'Jane Got a Gun' Pushed Back to Early 2015
- MTV Renews 'Real World,' Orders New Series From 'Buckwild' Producers
- Tribeca: Ron Howard Recalls Early Days of Festival, Shares Update on 'Heart of the Sea'
- James Earl Jones to return to Broadway this fall in ?You Can't Take It With You'
- Man dressed as Spider-Man is running for political office in India
- ?The Twilight Saga: Eclipse': Bad Lip Reading version ? VIDEO
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence, Pulls Out of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Press Tour
- 'Friday the 13th' Is Being Reimagined as a TV Series
- The 'Jem and the Holograms' Movie Cast Is Shaping Up Nicely