Teen Moms Are More Popular Than Kate Middleton
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 1st 2010 09:15AM
Kate Middleton graced the cover of four celebrity weeklies last week (PEOPLE, Us, Star and OK!), yet, with the exception of PEOPLE, the beautiful soon-to-be royal turned out to be a bust, selling fewer issues than average for the remaining three tabloids.
"Everyone hoped that Kate would be the new Kim Kardashian. Someone that almost guaranteed great sales," one editor-in-chief tells me. "However, Kate turned out to be a disaster. She sold so few magazine that you shouldn't expect to see her face on another cover for a long time."
It's true that all celebrities go through periods when they are hot and cold. Remember the summer you couldn't turn around without seeing Kate Gosselin or this time last year when Tiger Woods was creeping around all the weeklies? And we're only now beginning to get a break from those 'Teen Mom' stars.
However, the surprising thing about Prince William's fiancee is that even in the week of her big engagement announcement -- an ideal time to truly introduce her to America -- she couldn't sell magazines.
► Watch Out Kate, 'Rascal' Harry Is Planning William's Bachelor Bash
Not surprisingly, Kate's anemic performance with state-side magazine buyers has inspired comparisons with you-know-who.
"She's no Diana for sure," one publishing insider tells me. "In fact, she's not even a Kardashian. No one seems to care about her. For all the hype we are seeing on TV about the wedding, when it comes to getting someone to pay $3.99, you need to have a celebrity on the cover that is worth $3.99. I would argue Kate is a 99 cent star at best right now."
I'm not sure what it says about our celebrity culture when a 'Real Housewife' is worth more than a future Queen of England.
A Royal Engagement
Britain's Prince William and his fiance, Kate Middleton, pose for photographers in London on Tuesday. The announcement ended feverish speculation about when the second-in-line to the throne would wed.
Ben Stansall, AFP / Getty Images
Ben Stansall, AFP / Getty Images
Finally! William Proposes to Kate
MORE ABOUT Kate Middleton
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kate Middleton Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Taylor Swift Wears Two Very Different Crop Top Outfits at the iHeartRadio Music Festival ? See the Looks!
- Dierks Bentley "Say You Do" Music Video: Exclusive Photos From Sexy New Clip
- Mary-Kate Olsen Eats Out of Olivier Sarkozy's Hands: PDA GIF
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Woman has surgery to get a third breast, hopes to become a TV star
- Taylor Swift shows off sexiest look yet at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Elvis Presley's last girlfriend says she tried to convince him to live healthier lifestyle
- Mariska Hargitay on Her Former SVU Partner: Chris Meloni Made Me Better
- New Girl Sneak Peek: Jess Tries Online Dating and It's Just as Hilariously Awkward as You'd Imagine
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Sneak Peek: Meredith Confronts Her Newly Discovered Half-Sister (Yes, Another One) and Things Get Ugly!