Is Taylor Momsen Mirroring Christina Aguilera?
By Rebecca Macatee Posted Dec 4th 2010 03:00PM
Pop-Ed: It's a good thing those rumors of Taylor Momsen leaving 'Gossip Girl' are completely untrue. I'd miss seeing Taylor as 'Easy J', even though her character's emotional roller coasters on the show are nothing compared to the drama she creates for herself in real life. But as hard as Taylor tries to be the bad girl of Hollywood, I'm willing to bet she's a relatively normal teenager who just happens to be milking an image gimmick for all its worth.
The adorable little girl who once played Cindy Lou Who in 'How The Grinch Stole Christmas' is on a mission to prove, with enough eyeliner and lingerie, that she's anything but sweet and innocent now. Whether she's publicly professing her love of vibrators, joking about sleeping with a priest, or proudly claiming to have set her dog's testicles on fire, she's desperate to let us all know she's, "...not looking to be Miley f*cking Cyrus."
She's blamed her parents for robbing her of a childhood, signing her up with a modeling agency at the age of two and giving her no choice but to work nonstop through adolescence. Most 17-year-olds on the cusp of freedom from mom and dad's rules don't get their outlandish statements and regrettable fashion choices published in the tabloids, but Taylor's restlessness and rebelliousness are pretty typical for kids her age.
Taylor's compulsive need to differentiate herself from her Hollywood peers and hyper sexualize herself reminds me very much of a younger, wilder Christina Aguilera.
Back in 2002, Christina stripped down from her demure, "Genie in a Bottle" image and debuted a racy, controversial video for her hit single, "Dirrty."
With this new song, Christina happily embraced being the naughty girl of Hollywood. While Britney Spears was still selling us wholesome pop hits and keeping up a fully clothed, girl-next-door image, Christina wore barely-there lingerie, a department store's worth of heavy makeup, and sung about wanting to have consequence-free, wild, "dirrty" sex.
Still, as we saw soon after, Christina didn't fall off the deep end or suffer a public breakdown. Her wild, partying ways were just a marketing ploy, sexualizing herself to sell more records, while her real life remained relatively tame and mature. Her squeaky clean peer, Britney Spears, however, suffered emotional and psychological breakdowns that nearly cost her career and life.
So maybe Taylor Momsen's out of control antics are getting that rebellion out of her system, and in real life, she's still more Cindy Lou Who than Courtney Love. After all, appearances can be deceiving, especially in Hollywood. It's Disney princess Demi Lovato, who wore a purity ring and once dated Joe Jonas, that's now seeking emotional treatment after her near-breakdown. And Taylor Momsen, the angst-filled, dark and disturbed princess of bleach and mascara, still seems to be working, healthy, and staying out of any actual trouble. She's obviously a talented young woman with great potential. I just hope she takes the Christina route with her career and doesn't ever actually become the bona fide bad girl she wants us to believe she already is.
MORE ABOUT Taylor Momsen
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Taylor Momsen Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Man charged in biting attack at Chicago's Lollapalooza music festival that wounded 2 men
- '19 Kids and Counting' star Michelle Duggar on how she and husband Jim Bob keep the flame alive
- HBO exec defends violence, sex scenes in 'Game of Thrones'
- Watch the first 5 minutes of Lifetime's ?Unauthorized Saved by the Bell' movie
- More adult women play video games than teen boys ? will the industry act accordingly?
- Watch Joe Manganiello and the men of ?La Bare' play Never Have I Ever
- It's a Girl for Stacy Keibler!
- Why Is NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson Driving Onto a High School Football Field?
- Watch the First Episode of ?Red Band Society' Now!
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Christmas Jammies Family Makes Back-to-School "Baby Got Class" Parody: Watch Now!
- Chris Burke Reflects on Corky Character, Life Goes On, Down Syndrome on Upcoming Oprah: Where Are They Now? Episode