Elizabeth Edwards' Family 'Hoping for a Miracle' as Cancer Spreads
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 6th 2010 06:45PM
Elizabeth Edwards confirmed bad news today: Cancer has spread to her liver leaving doctors to recommend that future treatment will no longer help.
"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said in a statement to PEOPLE magazine. "She is resting at home with family and friends." This includes her ex-husband, John Edwards, and her daughter, Cate, among other close family.
Elizabeth posted the following Facebook message to her friends on Monday: "I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope," she wrote. "These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that.
"It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day," she continued. "To you I simply say: you know. With love, Elizabeth."
Diagnosed with breast cancer in November 2004, Elizabeth was thought to be doing well until she was hospitalized over the Thanksgiving holidays. "We are hoping for a miracle," a family friend tells me.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Iggy Azalea Slams Azealia Banks as a "Bigot" and a "Miserable, Angry Human Being"
- Stephen Colbert Receives Star-Studded Serenade on Final Colbert Report: Watch Video!
- George Clooney Slams Hollywood for Handling of Sony Hack, The Interview: "We Cannot Be Told We Can't See Something by Kim Jong Un"
- Report: Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden engaged
- Political correctness: Is Hollywood headed for a gloomy future?
- Stephen Collins denies he's a pedophile