No Girl-Girl 'Dancing' for Ellen's Wife, Portia de Rossi
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 6th 2010 04:18PM
Producers of ABC's 'Dancing With The Stars' have decided that America isn't quite ready to see a same-sex couple on the ballroom floor after their only choice, Ellen Degeneres' wife Portia de Rossi, didn't pan out.
"If Portia had agreed then this would have been a done deal," an ABC insider tells me. "She was the only star that could have pulled this off without completely offending the program's conservative viewers."
But since the 'Arrested Development' beauty has rejected their offer, producers have decided to wait a few years and "not rush into creating a same-sex dancing couple just to get attention and publicity."
The show has a soft spot for stunt casting -- Kate Gosselin, Florence Henderson, Bristol Palin, anyone? -- but isn't yet ready to invite on a same-sex couple. The last time a contestant did anything remotely gay -- Margaret Cho's rainbow dress -- she was promptly dumped by viewers.
"With all the debate going on about Don't Ask, Don't Tell in the country, this would have been the perfect time to do this," one Hollywood casting director tells me. "Yet, the show has never been about pushing the envelope. It's a huge hit because it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable."
My sources tell me the backlash felt over Palin's surprising tenure on the show caught producers by surprise and they're looking to avoid conflict for a while.
"After Bristol, I predict it will be the most boring bunch of stars ever cast next season," the casting director says. "When you have a hit as big as this on your hands, everyone is scared to mess it up."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Heaven King Slays the Viral Game With New "Hit the Quan" Music Video
- Scott Disick Jammed Out to Kanye West Club Music With Rod and Kimberly Stewart: Details
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste Dead: Les Miserables Broadway Actor Dies at 21
- 1st African-American actor to play Jean Valjean on Broadway dies
- ‘The Good Wife's' Christine Baranski talks Emmys, season 7 excitement
- MSNBC cuts back on Katrina coverage due to Brian Williams?
- Did The Bachelorette's Andi Dorfman Just Throw Shade at Ex Josh Murray? See for Yourself!
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel's Son Axl Is the Cutest "Little Maverick" on His Second Birthday—See the Pic!
- Amy Purdy Gets Married! Dancing With the Stars and The Amazing Race Alumna Says "I Do" to Daniel Gale