No Girl-Girl 'Dancing' for Ellen's Wife, Portia de Rossi
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 6th 2010 04:18PM
Producers of ABC's 'Dancing With The Stars' have decided that America isn't quite ready to see a same-sex couple on the ballroom floor after their only choice, Ellen Degeneres' wife Portia de Rossi, didn't pan out.
"If Portia had agreed then this would have been a done deal," an ABC insider tells me. "She was the only star that could have pulled this off without completely offending the program's conservative viewers."
But since the 'Arrested Development' beauty has rejected their offer, producers have decided to wait a few years and "not rush into creating a same-sex dancing couple just to get attention and publicity."
The show has a soft spot for stunt casting -- Kate Gosselin, Florence Henderson, Bristol Palin, anyone? -- but isn't yet ready to invite on a same-sex couple. The last time a contestant did anything remotely gay -- Margaret Cho's rainbow dress -- she was promptly dumped by viewers.
"With all the debate going on about Don't Ask, Don't Tell in the country, this would have been the perfect time to do this," one Hollywood casting director tells me. "Yet, the show has never been about pushing the envelope. It's a huge hit because it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable."
My sources tell me the backlash felt over Palin's surprising tenure on the show caught producers by surprise and they're looking to avoid conflict for a while.
"After Bristol, I predict it will be the most boring bunch of stars ever cast next season," the casting director says. "When you have a hit as big as this on your hands, everyone is scared to mess it up."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Sarah Jessica Parker Nominates Kim Kardashian, Takes Ice Bucket Challenge in Tiny Towel
- Jared Leto Gets Beard Trim from Jimmy Fallon, Performs Hilarious Intense Staredown
- Robin Williams Cremated Privately, Ashes Scattered in San Francisco Bay
- 70 Pound Gain! Friends Fear For Jonah Hill's Life As Actor Hits 270 Pounds ? His Heaviest Weight Ever!
- Already Talking Marriage! Joel Madden Tells Lovesick Twin Brother Benji To Put The Breaks On Cameron Diaz Romance
- Will VMAs mimic last year's Miley-led raunchfest? MTV says ?you never know'
- Hayden Panettiere's pregnancy will be written into 'Nashville' script, with father's identity a mystery
- FOX411's pic of the day