MPAA Overturns NC-17 Rating of 'Blue Valentine'
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 8th 2010 04:35PM
According to Deadline, producer Harvey Weinstein personally argued in front of the ratings board today to achieve the more theater and Oscar-friendly rating.
The film, about a couple who fall in love who then have their relationship slowly disintegrate, features a scene between stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, where Gosling's character performs oral sex on Williams, which was believed to be the reason the movie earned the original NC-17.
Many were quick to point out the hypocrisy of the rating because 'Black Swan,' which has a similar scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, only received an R.
'Blue Valentine' director Derek Cianfrance criticized the MPAA for its first ruling. "The essence of our film is that it's intimate and emotional and the sex doesn't feel fake. It's an honest relationship between two people, and it feels real because I have great actors," Cianfrance told the Los Angeles Times. "It's as if the MPAA is saying, 'Your actors are good -- but they're too good.'"
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Dancing with the Stars:' Maksim Chmerkovskiy won't return as a dancer
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' promotional tweet criticized for 9/11 resemblance
- 'Deadliest Catch's' Keith Colburn: Washington politics hurt my business
- Canada's Tricon Films Lands Frank Saperstein as Kids and Family TV Head
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Suing Auction House Over Bruce Lee Poster
- South Korean Star Filmmakers Make 2014 Toronto Film Fest Lineup
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Noah,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Twin Peaks'
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Rian Johnson Is Already Revealing Details About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'