MPAA Overturns NC-17 Rating of 'Blue Valentine'
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 8th 2010 04:35PM
According to Deadline, producer Harvey Weinstein personally argued in front of the ratings board today to achieve the more theater and Oscar-friendly rating.
The film, about a couple who fall in love who then have their relationship slowly disintegrate, features a scene between stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, where Gosling's character performs oral sex on Williams, which was believed to be the reason the movie earned the original NC-17.
Many were quick to point out the hypocrisy of the rating because 'Black Swan,' which has a similar scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, only received an R.
'Blue Valentine' director Derek Cianfrance criticized the MPAA for its first ruling. "The essence of our film is that it's intimate and emotional and the sex doesn't feel fake. It's an honest relationship between two people, and it feels real because I have great actors," Cianfrance told the Los Angeles Times. "It's as if the MPAA is saying, 'Your actors are good -- but they're too good.'"
- Filed under:
- Movie News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- Robin Williams' son remembers his dad and Christopher Reeve's friendship
- 'Jurassic World' Teaser Welcomes Visitors to the Park
- International Emmys: Why the Awards Show Has Become Much More Important to Hollywood
- Box Office: 'Mockingjay' Nabs $275M Globally But Hits Franchise Low in U.S.
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' Soars to the Top Spot
- 10 of the Greatest Movie Transformations Ever
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Family Review: 5 Things Every Parent Should Know