Archive Video: Reporting on John Lennon's Death
By Marc Schneider Posted Dec 8th 2010 10:15AM
Thirty years ago, there was no Twitter or MSNBC or Fox News (or Fox for that matter), so news coverage of that cold night in New York City came in the form of breaking news alerts from older, veteran newsmen, who delivered the sad news with their trademark gravitas. Ted Koppel for ABC, a crusty BBC anchor and even Bill Kurtis (of 'Cold Case Files') broke the news to viewers of Chicago's CBS affiliate. The most widely seen and enduring announcement of the tragedy came from Howard Cosell in the 'Monday Night Football' broadcast booth. Watch that and other vintage news alerts.
ABC's 'Nightline,' Ted Koppel (2 Part Segment With Geraldo Rivera):
'CBS Evening News,' Walter Cronkite:
NBC News Bulletin, Interrupting 'The Tonight Show' (Audio Only)
CBS Los Angeles, Connie Chung and Pat O'Brien:
CBS Chicago, Bill Kurtis:
Mourning Lennon, 30 Years Later
John Lennon's fans gather at New York City's Strawberry Fields in Central Park December 8, 2010 in New York. Fans in several cities held vigils to mark the 30th anniversary of the murder of John Lennon, as part of a global day of celebrations of the music icon's life.
Bonnie Biess, PopEater
Bonnie Biess, PopEater
Scenes From Strawberry Fields
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Paris Hilton slammed by world famous DJ
- J.K. Rowling writes backstory for Potter character
- NBCUniversal settles lawsuit with unpaid interns for $6.4 million
- ?Constantine' star Matt Ryan is a super binge watcher
- Entertainment Geekly: How ?The Walking Dead' is ?Lord of the Rings'
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch try to walk like Beyonce
- ?Sons of Guns' Stars Arrested for Alleged Child Cruelty
- Bed Hopping, Backstabbing and More Drama in Store for 'General Hospital'!
- Harold Perrineau Joins the DC Universe as a Never-Before-Seen Character in 'Constantine'
- Chinese Woman Spends Entire Week at KFC After Getting Dumped By Boyfriend, Says She "Needed Time to Think"
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend