Kathy Griffin's Fat Jokes Hurt Her Chance at Getting New Year's Job Back
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 8th 2010 01:44PM
By now, you know that comedienne Kathy Griffin put her foot in her big mouth again over the weekend, getting booed by the troops at VH1's 'Divas Salute the Troops' event for telling fat jokes about Bristol Palin. Now, after the ensuing fallout, I've learned that any hope she had of getting her old job back on CNN's New Year's Eve special has been seriously diminished.
An insider at the cable network tells me that executives had recently softened on Kathy after initially shunning her after her F-bomb-throwing gaffe on last year's special, co-hosted by Anderson Cooper.
"CNN executives ... were considering giving her another chance," my source reveals. "That was until her Bristol weight comment a few days ago that reminded everyone exactly why they had barred her in the first place."
Now, the "Most Trusted Name in News" is likely to sideline any chance of bringing her back. It seems Kathy picked a scab off CNN's wound, reminding them that not only did she drop an F-bomb on live TV, she also made not-so-family-friendly jokes about needing a "bump" of cocaine. And then, yes, she also asked Anderson if he pleasured himself while looking in the mirror. So there's that.
However, even worse than that sordid minute on TV was the fact that it didn't exactly help in the ratings department. CNN's special drew far fewer viewers than Dick Clark's 'New Year's Rockin' Eve.'
When I asked a CNN publicist about the matter in early January, they said, "No decisions have been made yet regarding next year's show."
What do you think? As our friend Heidi Klum would ask on 'Project Runway,' should Kathy be IN or OUT?
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Celebrity Holiday
MORE ABOUT Kathy Griffin
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kathy Griffin Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kristen Bell Gives Birth, Welcomes Second Baby Girl With Dax Shepard: See Her Name!
- Sony CEO Michael Lynton Defends The Interview Decision: "We Have Not Backed Down"
- Lance Bass' Wedding Location Revealed! 'N Sync Singer to Marry Michael Turchin
- Sony defends decision to shelve release of 'The Interview,' saying studio 'had no choice'
- 14 movies that may not have made it to theaters today
- Hackers praise Sony for 'The Interview' cancellation, make new threats
- So Anna Kendrick and Eddie Redmayne Used to Have a Thing for Animated Animals—and Liam Neeson Had the Hots for a Cartoon Too!
- Ray Rice and Future Wife Janay Palmer Kissed While in Handcuffs in Aftermath of Elevator Fight: New Surveillance Footage Released
- The Duck Dynasty Family Christmas Card Is Here and the Robertsons All Have Dancing With the Stars Fever!