Kathy Griffin's Fat Jokes Hurt Her Chance at Getting New Year's Job Back
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 8th 2010 01:44PM
By now, you know that comedienne Kathy Griffin put her foot in her big mouth again over the weekend, getting booed by the troops at VH1's 'Divas Salute the Troops' event for telling fat jokes about Bristol Palin. Now, after the ensuing fallout, I've learned that any hope she had of getting her old job back on CNN's New Year's Eve special has been seriously diminished.
An insider at the cable network tells me that executives had recently softened on Kathy after initially shunning her after her F-bomb-throwing gaffe on last year's special, co-hosted by Anderson Cooper.
"CNN executives ... were considering giving her another chance," my source reveals. "That was until her Bristol weight comment a few days ago that reminded everyone exactly why they had barred her in the first place."
Now, the "Most Trusted Name in News" is likely to sideline any chance of bringing her back. It seems Kathy picked a scab off CNN's wound, reminding them that not only did she drop an F-bomb on live TV, she also made not-so-family-friendly jokes about needing a "bump" of cocaine. And then, yes, she also asked Anderson if he pleasured himself while looking in the mirror. So there's that.
However, even worse than that sordid minute on TV was the fact that it didn't exactly help in the ratings department. CNN's special drew far fewer viewers than Dick Clark's 'New Year's Rockin' Eve.'
When I asked a CNN publicist about the matter in early January, they said, "No decisions have been made yet regarding next year's show."
What do you think? As our friend Heidi Klum would ask on 'Project Runway,' should Kathy be IN or OUT?
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter -
- Celebrity Holiday
MORE ABOUT Kathy Griffin
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kathy Griffin Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- "Uptown Funk" Sang in Cartoon Voices Is a Must-Watch: Video
- Nick Gordon's Mom Staging Intervention With Dr. Phil: "My Son's Life Hangs in the Balance"
- Reese Witherspoon Posts Heartwarming Photo of Husband Jim Toth, Son Tennessee
- Indie rock band Ex Cops calls out McDonalds for not paying bands at SXSW showcase
- Susan Sarandon reportedly splits from boy toy
- 'Wheel of Fortune' contestant botches 'Snow White' character's name
- Samantha Bee Leaving The Daily Show...Who's Still on It?!
- This Bar Mitzvah Video Is the Best Thing You'll Watch This Week: Stop Right Now and Behold Its Awesomeness
- Kim Kardashian Has Sex "500 Times a Day," Bruce Jenner Feels "Separated"—See a New KUWTK Sneak Peek!