'Mythbusters' Host Talks Tonight's Episode With President Barack Obama
By Max Orenstein Posted Dec 8th 2010 02:11PM
Hyneman tells PopEater that the one myth they'd love to try and debunk is to see whether the explosions, fire balls and loud noises that happen in science fiction movies in outer space can actually happen.
"I don't know what that would actually be like, and we're probably a long way from finding out," Hyneman said.
There are only two ways to prove it, he said. Either take a trip to the International Space Station and set off some kind of explosion, "which is highly unlikely we'll be allowed to do," or build some sort of earth-bound vacuum chamber and set off an explosion inside of it, which will likely destroy the vacuum.
In tonight's episode, Obama challenges the show's hosts to reexamine their previous attempt at busting the ancient myth that Greek scientist Archimedes polished soldier's shields and used them to reflect the sun's rays to set fire on a fleet of invading Roman ships.
Despite the president's cameo and all of the attention surrounding his appearance on tonight's episode, Hyneman said that it will be pretty similar to all other 'Mythbusters' episodes.
"Actually we made a point of not doing anything unusual," he said. "It was the preference of the White House to treat this like a normal episode."
Hyneman said that there really isn't any other celebrity or world leader he wishes could appear on an episode besides Obama.
"Politics aside, I think of anybody that I can actually relate to, the president is on the top of my list," Hyneman said. "What he's trying to do for this country, I'm just amazed. I think very highly of his efforts."
Tonight's episode, 'President's Challenge,' will air at 9 PM EST on the Discovery Channel.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Khloe Kardashian Goes on Date With Rick Fox: Details
- Jennifer Aniston's Diet: Star Stays Healthy With Bulgur Salad, Eggs on Toast -- See Pics
- Kendall Jenner Wears a Rainbow Paisley Jumpsuit to Grand Prix, Says Boo to Your Memorial Day Whites
- L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti hopes ?San Andreas' gets city to prepare
- U2 delivers hits, politics, high-tech stage gimmicks on new tour
- '19 Kids and Counting' scandal: Walgreens, Payless and Choice Hotels pull ads
- Trekkies Are Freaking Out Because This Building Was Modeled After Star Trek's Voyager, Not the USS Enterprise
- Nicky Hilton Celebrates Her Summer Wedding With a "Fairytale Bridal Shower" in L.A. as Paris Hilton Jets to Ibiza!
- Brandon Jenner Sports Fake Baby Bump, Makes Pregnant Leah Jenner Laugh—See the Pic!