Angelina Jolie Calls for Laws Protecting Kids from Paparazzi
By John Mitchell Posted Dec 9th 2010 11:16AM
Angelina Jolie sat down with Larry King Wednesday night to promote her new film 'The Tourist' and opened up about everything from partner Brad Pitt and their six children to her film career and how a chance meeting in King's studio may have led her to her most recent Oscar nomination.
In one of the interview's more serious moments, Jolie discussed her hope that some day there will be a law protecting the children of celebrities from the invasive paparazzi. "I do think and I do hope that there will at some point be laws about how close they can get to children with cameras," Jolie told King.
Asked by King if she felt there would ever be a "cure ... for the paparazzi and the invasion of privacy," Jolie said, "I don't think the hunger for it will ever go away, and so I think it will always be fed."
In an about-face from many of her peers, who often lament the existence of the paparazzi altogether, the Oscar-winning actress spoke specifically to how the aggressive nature of some photographers affects the welfare of children. "I think at some point it's going to be clearer that it's emotionally not healthy," Jolie said. "And with long lenses, there's no need. I'm somebody that would like there to be a law about the distance they have to children."
When King listed off the many roles Jolie plays in her real life -- working actress, goodwill ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, mother of six -- and asked how she keeps it all balanced, the actress credited Pitt, who she called "an extremely hands-on, wonderful father."
"I'm very, very lucky that I have a career where it seems like I'm very busy but I work for a few months and then I have months off. So my schedule is not as demanding as many, many mothers across the world who have two, three jobs and no help," Jolie told King. "When I was shooting 'The Tourist,' for example, [Brad] was home with the kids, helping them with school, bringing them to set. We never work at the same time, we never separate the family, and that's the best thing we can do to try to keep it all balanced."
Jolie also informed King that he may have played a part in her landing the lead role in director Clint Eastwood's acclaimed 2008 film 'Changeling,' for which she earned a Best Actress Academy Award nomination.
The actress and the legendary actor-director met for the first time backstage at King's studio before Jolie's last appearance on CNN's 'Larry King Live.' "We joked that we really, really wanted to work together, and I told him how crazy I was about him and his films and we ate in your little craft service in the back and I think a few months later we decided to do 'Changeling.'"
King, of course, also asked Jolie if she and Pitt planned to have more children. Smiling, she said, "[We have] no plans at the moment, but we're always open."
MORE ABOUT Angelina Jolie
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Angelina Jolie Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Stars who lost their mojo
- Maxim Monday: Hot models, celebs and gals next door
- Justin Timberlake goes folk in new movie ?Inside Llewyn Davis'
- Cannes: Keanu Reeves Makes Directorial Debut With 'Man of Tai Chi' (Exclusive Image)
- VH1 Sets June Theatrical Openings for Alex Winter's 'Downloaded'
- Cannes: Easternlight Sells Jet Li's 'Badges of Fury' Worldwide
- ?All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' season finale: And the winner is?
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- ?Game of Thrones': OK Cupid reveals which characters are most compatible
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2
- 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)