John Edwards Will Be at Elizabeth's Funeral, but Don't Expect a Eulogy
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 10th 2010 08:15AM
A public funeral service for Elizabeth Edwards has been scheduled for Saturday in Raleigh, North Carolina, and will include eulogies from her oldest daughter, Cate, and two close friends. As you'd expect, gathered mourners won't be hearing a eulogy from her estranged husband John Edwards, but that doesn't mean he won't be there.
"Elizabeth would want it this way. She hated what John did but never stopped loving him," a family friend tells me. "She died in the home she built with John, surrounded by loving memories of their time together and at peace."
The former presidential hopeful was with Elizabeth on Tuesday when she died following a six-year battle with cancer.
Elizabeth will be honored Saturday at Edenton Street United Methodist Church in Raleigh. The public is allowed to attend the 1 PM service. Given her popularity, I'm told there will be no shortage of notable political figures in attendance. The absence of any public events scheduled for President Obama for Saturday has also fueled speculation that he will travel to North Carolina to pay his respects.
The crazies at the Westboro Baptist Church (they of "God Hates..." infamy) have announced they will protest the funeral.
There will also be a private burial for Elizabeth for family only. A friend of the family tells me John will set up a new foundation in Elizabeth's memory to help raise money for those fighting breast cancer.
"He will never forgive himself for what he did to her and she will remain in his heart for the rest of his life," my source says. "We were all praying for a miracle. But now realize Elizabeth was our miracle. Just having her in all our lives was the best gift of all. She will never be forgotten."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda de Cadenet: Chelsea Handler Inspired My New Lifetime Talk Show!
- Rachel McAdams Cringes While Watching Notebook Audition Tape for the First Time Ever on the Today Show
- Jenny McCarthy Jokes About Hillary Clinton's Sexuality on The View, Implies She's Had Girlfriends
- She's An American Woman In London! Noelle Reno Dishes About Life, Work And Reality Show ?Ladies Of London'
- Madonna’s Underage Teenage Daughter Says She ‘Awkwardly Avoided Teachers’ At Prom After Drinking Champagne
- Reality Showdown! Producers Now Deciding Between Fan-Favorite ?Bachelorette' Alum Arie Luyendyk Jr. And Andi Dorfman Cast-Off Chris Soules In Next Bachelor Casting
- Leonardo DiCaprio spotted partying with 25 models, source says
- Ali Lohan reportedly launching country music career
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Salma Hayek Makes the Ultimate Hot Teacher—See the Pic!
- Blake Lively Reveals the Best Surprise She's Ever Given Ryan Reynolds and 72 Other Fun Facts—Watch Now!
- Madonna Impersonator Identifies Gender: "I Embrace Myself as a Queen"—Watch the Botched Deleted Scene!