John Edwards Will Be at Elizabeth's Funeral, but Don't Expect a Eulogy
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 10th 2010 08:15AM
A public funeral service for Elizabeth Edwards has been scheduled for Saturday in Raleigh, North Carolina, and will include eulogies from her oldest daughter, Cate, and two close friends. As you'd expect, gathered mourners won't be hearing a eulogy from her estranged husband John Edwards, but that doesn't mean he won't be there.
"Elizabeth would want it this way. She hated what John did but never stopped loving him," a family friend tells me. "She died in the home she built with John, surrounded by loving memories of their time together and at peace."
The former presidential hopeful was with Elizabeth on Tuesday when she died following a six-year battle with cancer.
Elizabeth will be honored Saturday at Edenton Street United Methodist Church in Raleigh. The public is allowed to attend the 1 PM service. Given her popularity, I'm told there will be no shortage of notable political figures in attendance. The absence of any public events scheduled for President Obama for Saturday has also fueled speculation that he will travel to North Carolina to pay his respects.
The crazies at the Westboro Baptist Church (they of "God Hates..." infamy) have announced they will protest the funeral.
There will also be a private burial for Elizabeth for family only. A friend of the family tells me John will set up a new foundation in Elizabeth's memory to help raise money for those fighting breast cancer.
"He will never forgive himself for what he did to her and she will remain in his heart for the rest of his life," my source says. "We were all praying for a miracle. But now realize Elizabeth was our miracle. Just having her in all our lives was the best gift of all. She will never be forgotten."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- RHONY Secrets Revealed Recap: Kristen and Josh Celebrate 10-Year Anniversary Before His Ashley Madison Scandal
- Teen Mom 2 Recap: Leah Messer Skips Rehab After Learning She May Lose Custody of Twins
- Party Down South Recap: Mattie Lynn Breaux Eats Chest Hair, Daddy Passes Out in Driveway
- Tori Spelling suing Benihana over burns from falling on grill
- Cindy Crawford doesn't understand why unflattering photo makes other feel good
- Courtney Stodden's mom Krista regrets letting daughter marry older husband
- Giada de Laurentiis' Divorce Finalized, Chef Ordered to Pay Ex Husband $9,000 in Monthly Child Support
- Hipster Barbie Hilariously Mocks Being "Authentic" on Instagram
- Has The Bachelorette's Josh Murray Found Love Again?! Andi Dorfman's Ex Posts Cryptic Pic With Beautiful Blonde