Lucy Liu's New Role: Finding Mr. Right...in Style
By Nicki Gostin Posted Dec 12th 2010 10:27AM
Tell us about 'Marry Me.'
It's a romantic comedy about a woman searching for Mr.Right, her Prince Charming. She gets confused, because it ends up being from zero to three different guys she has a possibility of being with.
Do you believe in Prince Charming?
I do. I definitely think the definition of Prince Charming changes, but I think everyone has that in their mind, who their ideal person is, and the fairy tale of what you would like in your life. I think it's good to have a goal. The thing about this character, she finds it's not actually what she wants in the end. Sometimes that's what we do in life, you realize that wasn't the right person for you.
Hence the 50% divorce rate.
Exactly, which is unfortunate. I think if you can be open and grow, because you're going to change, and hopefully the other person will too, then you have the possibility of a future.
Did you get to try on lots of wedding gowns?
Actually, Oscar de la Renta lent us a dress. It was really amazing. It's absolutely stunning. It has all these little details and flowers -- and tiny pearls in the middle of each one.
I would forget to return it.
What am I going to do with it? Wear it on the red carpet? You can only wear it once, right? No, I gave it back. It was really nice of them to do. I was like, '[This movie's] kind of a great moment to have a beautiful dress. You don't want to go to some store and pick up anything.'
So you didn't run to Kleinfeld's when they were having their wedding gown sale?
(Laughs) Yeah, and tear somebody's arm off.
Although, aren't you capable of that? Didn't you study martial arts?
I studied martial arts for film, and Kali-Eskrima-Silat, which is knife and stick fighting. It sounds scary. It's actually a lot of big flurries with your hands, it's really beautiful. You use knives, but they're wooden, and it looks like a dance.
Could you kick someone's ass?
I could probably do a little damage if I needed to.
You're a bit clever. You went to Stuyvesant High School in New York.
It's a great school, and it's public.
And it's nearly impossible to get into.
Yes, you have to take an exam.
I lucked out. I studied. My parents were very into getting into the best schools.
Were they upset when you became an actress?
Absolutely. Incredibly disappointed. Luckily, I'm the third of three, so by the time I came along they were like, 'We give up.'
What are you doing for the holidays?
I'm going to go to Europe, and then I'll spend time with my family. I'm not going anywhere specifically. Once I get there, I'll decide.
Don't you play the accordion?
I love the accordion. Maybe you could play on the rues of Paris.
I'm not nearly good enough to play like that. Besides, I'd need a little monkey to collect the change. Maybe I could earn my airfare home.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- George R.R. Martin: Red Wedding Was "Tremendously Hard to Write," Readers Swore Off My Books Forever
- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 3, Sisterhood Everlasting, in the Works
- Let Me Take A Selfie! Nikki Reed and Jay Pharoah Pose For A Pic in NYC
- Alicia DiMichele Quits VH1s ?Mob Wives;' Retracts Guilty Plea In Embezzlement Case
- Bill It To Bethenny! Frankel Commanded By Court To Shell Out $100K To Jason Hoppy's Attorney In Child Custody Battle
- 'Bachelorette' creator 'in shock' after contestant's death that puts show in 'bizarre predicament'
- Censorship of film 'Halawet Rooh' in Egypt sparks national controversy
- Kevin Clash, voice of Elmo, cleared of sex abuse charges
- Shailene Woodley Loves "Dancing Around With Hairy Armpits" and "War Paint" at Hippie Festivals
- The Other Woman Review Roundup: Will Moviegoers Feel Cheated After Watching Comedy About Being Cheated On?
- Mekhi Phifer Shares Past Experience With Racial Profiling: "They Thought...I Had Kilos of Cocaine!"