Shocked By Scarlett and Ryan's Split? So Were Friends
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 15th 2010 11:40AM
Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds are notorious under-sharers, having spent their brief and low-key marriage shunning cameras and reporters' questions. So, it comes as no surprise that their shocking split this week was kept under wraps for even the people that know them.
"No one had any idea this was coming," a friend of Scarlett's tells me. "They kept their private life so secret that I doubt we will ever really know what went wrong."
The gorgeous duo have always been incredibly private and have only been photographed together a handful of times. They barley even spoke about their relationship in the press, with Ryan admitting in the October issue of GQ that since getting married, "I'm a little more guarded, I think. I'm a little bit more wary of having my relationship turning into a soap opera."
The two are determined to keep the particulars of their failed relationship private, a friend tells me, who wisely notes that fans shouldn't hold their breath for a weepy Oprah-style interview.
"In fact, knowing them, they will never talk about it at all," my source says.
This desire to clam up may be tough for Ryan, as he's obligated to promote his film, 'Green Lantern,' during the first half of 2011. Insiders tell me that members of the press will be told that Scarlett-related questions will be off limits during the promotional tour. "Anyone that asks personal questions will be asked to leave," the source reveals.
The couple released the following statement on Tuesday: "After long and careful consideration on both our parts, we've decided to end our marriage. We entered our relationship with love and it's with love and kindness we leave it. While privacy isn't expected, it's certainly appreciated."
► Get the full scoop on Scarlett and Ryan's split here.
BARCELONA, SPAIN - OCTOBER 20: Scarlett Johansson attends the 3rd edition of the Mango Fashion Awards held at the MNAC on October 20, 2010 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Robert Marquardt/Getty Images)
Getty Images Europe
MORE ABOUT Scarlett Johansson
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Scarlett Johansson Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner on Bruce's changing appearance: 'I don't know what he's going through'
- Gene Simmons: Young women should marry older men
- Country singer Martina McBride pursues cooking passion
- 'Daredevil' Star Charlie Cox Talks Netflix's "Darker" Matt Murdock: "He Can't Stop"
- POP Orders First Scripted Series
- 'Theory of Everything': How Eddie Redmayne Became a Hunching, Humorous Stephen Hawking
- Jimmy Kimmel makes ?Fury' infinitely cuter with Furbys
- Broadway box office: Michael C. Hall's ?Hedwig' scores, but Carol Burnett can't boost ?Love Letters'
- Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a ?rapist' in stand-up set
- Best of Late Night TV: Ice Cube Talks N.W.A. Movie, Alan Cumming Recalls Shia's 'Cabaret' Arrest (VIDEO)
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie