Morgan Freeman Death Hoax: How It Happened
By Zach Dionne Posted Dec 17th 2010 08:58AM
Turns out it was just a regular guy on Twitter playing a joke that caught fire.
"How did the rumor begin?" Slate.com asks. "Blame it on @originalcjizzle, a guy with nearly 1,500 followers who is fond of calling people 'jive turkeys.' Just before 5PM ET, @originalcjizzle tweeted: RT @CNN: Breaking News: actor Morgan Freeman has passed away in his Burbank home<< wow legendary actor #RIPmorganfreeman."
C. Jizzle's post feigned CNN's authority; anyone can perform a manual retweet regardless of its veracity. "This is a common way to begin a hoax on the social network," Slate writes. "Nobody fact-checks anything on Twitter, so faking a CNN retweet is a good way to get your fake death notice to go viral."
UPDATE: C. Jizzle told PopEater via e-mail: "All I have to say right now is that I apologize to Mr. Freeman and to CNN," adding, by way of clarifying erroneous media reports about his origins -- "and I'm not a rapper."
Twitter user Peter Shankman, who WENN calls "Freeman's pal," quickly cleared up the rumor:
After much Internet buzz -- including, according to Mediaite, Borders Bookstore retweeting the false CNN post and adding, "Goodbye to another one of the greats" -- CNN jumped in to clear up the situation:
And eventually the originator of the hoax himself let loose a series of tweets explaining:
We're thrilled one of our finest actors (and arguably the hands-down finest voice) is alive and well -- although it's certainly disarming how much steam this rumor picked up compared to the fairly transparent death hoaxes surrounding Bill Cosby, Kanye West and Betty White.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps from balcony in apparent suicide attempt, report says
- FOX News announces new daytime show 'Outnumbered'
- Robin Roberts: Doctor said I had two years to live
- Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo TV Series in the Works
- NBC Passes on David Koechner Variety Sketch Show (Exclusive)
- DreamWorks Hires 'Bob's Burgers' Duo to Write 'Hot Stuff' (Exclusive)
- ?Neighbors': Seth Rogen and Zac Efron try out for ?Workaholics' cubicle ? NSFW VIDEO
- ?Game of Thrones': Jack Gleeson's picture-perfect reaction to the Purple Wedding ? PHOTO
- Channing Tatum is in talks to play a very famous X-Man
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Post-Credits Clip Teases 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- This Is the Reason 'Noah' Is Full of White People
- Chloe Grace Moretz Officially Joins 'The 5th Wave'