Sheryl Crow Recalls 'Coming Alive' at Peter Frampton Show
First as a back-up singer for Michael Jackson, then as a solo artist herself -- Sheryl Crow's musical career has thrived over the last 17 years. So it's no surprise that she cites her defining moment as a concert, where she first "came alive."
"I was 13 and I went to see Peter Frampton and 'Frampton Comes Alive,'" Crow tells Spinner. "Yeah, he was hot but it was the first time I had ever seen a crowd that big for one thing."
To see the beauty of his lighting and his voice and his sensuality ... I wanted to do that immediately.
Crow journeyed from her home in Kennett, Mo. to Memphis, Tenn.'s Mid-South Coliseum, where she got a glimpse of someone transforming an entire room with just a few guys on stage. "To see the beauty of his lighting and his voice and his sensuality ... I think as a 13-year-old it seemed very daunting and intimidating, and at the same time very sensual and kind of unsafe and really kind of titillating. I wanted to do that immediately."
To this day, Crow hasn't tried the famous Frampton talk box, but still says that show inspired her make a serious run at becoming a singer. "I knew I could sing and I came from a musical family and it just seemed like such a long shot, but it was at that moment when I decided I would love to be able to do that."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Raven-Symone's confusion: 'I'm from every continent in Africa'
- Leonard Nimoy's son planning documentary about his father
- World receives its first glimpse of 'Spectre,' new James Bond movie
- Extra Scoop: Moving on? Mariah Carey & Director Brett Ratner Celebrate Birthdays Together
- Back On! Kris Jenner and BF Corey Gamble Spotted Lunching in L.A.
- Trend Alert! Fashionista Olivia Palermo Is Bringing Back Flare Jeans
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser Have O.C. Reunion on Hart of Dixie Finale: Photo
- Calvin Harris Said He'd Skip Taylor Swift on Tinder Days Before Nashville Outing: "She's the Opposite of My Type"
- Kourtney Kardashian Posts Flashback Photo of First Night She Met Scott Disick