Sheryl Crow Recalls 'Coming Alive' at Peter Frampton Show
First as a back-up singer for Michael Jackson, then as a solo artist herself -- Sheryl Crow's musical career has thrived over the last 17 years. So it's no surprise that she cites her defining moment as a concert, where she first "came alive."
"I was 13 and I went to see Peter Frampton and 'Frampton Comes Alive,'" Crow tells Spinner. "Yeah, he was hot but it was the first time I had ever seen a crowd that big for one thing."
To see the beauty of his lighting and his voice and his sensuality ... I wanted to do that immediately.
Crow journeyed from her home in Kennett, Mo. to Memphis, Tenn.'s Mid-South Coliseum, where she got a glimpse of someone transforming an entire room with just a few guys on stage. "To see the beauty of his lighting and his voice and his sensuality ... I think as a 13-year-old it seemed very daunting and intimidating, and at the same time very sensual and kind of unsafe and really kind of titillating. I wanted to do that immediately."
To this day, Crow hasn't tried the famous Frampton talk box, but still says that show inspired her make a serious run at becoming a singer. "I knew I could sing and I came from a musical family and it just seemed like such a long shot, but it was at that moment when I decided I would love to be able to do that."
More Defining Moments
Popeater Hot Topics
- Christina Applegate: Yes, I ditched Brad Pitt on a date
- 'Street Outlaws' star 'Daddy Dave' injured in serious crash
- Amy Schumer vows to do something about gun violence: ‘I'm on it'
- 'Zoolander 2' Will Strut Its Stuff This February: Trailer!
- The Butt Cream and Music That Tastemaker Kylie Jenner Is Feelin' on Instagram
- Neighbor Remembers Bobbi Kristina and Nick's 'Passionate' Relationship
- Jared Padalecki, Stephen Ammell Reveal Totally Amazing Abs For Depression Campaign
- Christina Applegate Forced to Discuss Ditching Brad Pitt For Another Guy on Watch What Happens Live: Watch!
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Skinny Bikini Body in Skimpy Black Two-Piece: See the Pic