Neil Patrick Harris Backtracks After Twitter Rant About 'HIMYM' Guest
By Christine Fenno Posted Dec 18th 2010 12:34PM
After soap opera star Eric Braeden ('The Young and the Restless') canceled his returning guest appearance on 'How I Met Your Mother' on short notice, Harris took to Twitter on Friday to blast the 69-year-old TV veteran with this blunt message: "Eric Braeden is a D-Bag. The actor, (Robin's dad) agreed to a cameo, then last night bailed, saying the part wasn't 'substantial' enough."
NPH soon added that Braeden was replaced with "fantastic" Ray Wise, and tweeted welcoming words to Wise about the cast change.
A few hours later, Harris tweeted his regrets ("Now I feel bad for the D-bag comment. Don't know the guy personally. I'm just fiercely protective of our show."), but the damage had been done.
When contacted for a response to Harris' slam, Braeden didn't hesitate to tell his side of the story.
"I really don't know who that fellow is," Braeden told EW.com. "He's a guy who stars in that series....It's very unfortunate. First of all, I came back from hip surgery. I was off for three weeks. I've doubled my work, 30 to 50 pages a day for me, alone. Everyone knows that I'm exhausted. I was not about to appear on a show for two lines, because that's what it amounted to."
Braeden says he accepted the invitation to return because his first guest spot in November 2008 (as father to Robin, played by Cobie Smulders) was such a pleasure. "I truly enjoyed working there last time," Braeden said. "The cast and crew and producers couldn't have been nicer."
But this time around, Braeden claims he learned only this week (one day before the taping, in fact) just how tiny the role was in the script, which he says he should have been given weeks in advance.
"His choice of words bothered me," Braeden said, about Harris' insulting tweet. "It seems to me like a young whippersnapper, having seen himself on a few covers, who's received a few awards, is now suddenly suffering from the first signs of hubris. I've been in the business for 50 years. I've seen people come and go and I'm still here."
"If he is a worthy adversary, he'd better not cross my path," he said, laughing. But he added, "I will let bygones be bygones."
Even if 'forgive and forget' is his New Year's resolution, Braeden will almost certainly be grilled more about the 'HIMYM' brouhaha when he appears CBS' chatfest 'The Talk' on Jan. 14.
Caught in Action: Celebrities Hard at Work
Jon Hamm, star of the hit series "Mad Men", is spotted filming scenes for the upcoming season. Jon was all smiles while filming in a red, vintage Imperial convertible.
Pacific Coast News
Pacific Coast News
MORE ABOUT Neil Patrick Harris
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Neil Patrick Harris Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bachelor After the Final Rose Recap: Juan Pablo Can't Say "I Love You"
- Andi Dorfman Named Bachelorette for Season 10!
- Bachelor Season 18 Finale Spoiler: Does Juan Pablo Pick Nikki Ferrell or Clare Crawley?
- Monster-In-Law! Kris Jenner Confesses SHE Planned Kanye West’s Proposal To Kim Kardashian In Shocking New Court Documents
- ?The Bachelor' recap: Juan Pablo makes his choice in awkward, unprecedented finale
- Miley Cyrus fan sneaks into star's dressing room, leaves note, police say
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Beauty and the Beast's Sexy Reunion, How I Met Your Mother's Big Secret Revealed and More OMG TV Moments
- The Bachelor Finale Recap: Did Juan Pablo Choose Nikki or Clare? Plus, Find Out if They're Still Together!
- Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Are All Over Each Other in Sexy New Dance Video—Watch Now!