Lady Gaga Among Celebs Cheering DADT Repeal
By Christine Fenno Posted Dec 19th 2010 09:42AM
Lady Gaga, who actively campaigned in 2010 against DADT, celebrated with her fans as soon as she learned the news.
The Grammy winner tweeted to over six million followers: "Can't hold back the tears + pride. We did it!! Our voice was heard + today the Senate REPEALED DADT. A triumph for equality after 17 YEARS. Today I am so proud to be American. I wish I was home so I could throw a Parade. We are on the way...to full equal."
The DADT policy, in effect since 1993, failed to protect gay men and women in the service from being kicked out for refusing to hide their sexual orientation. As it comes to an end, Lady Gaga is hardly alone in her excitement (Senator Harry Reid made sure to tweet directly to Gaga: "We did it! #DADT is a thing of the past"). 'Modern Family' star Jesse Tyler Ferguson, pop princess Katy Perry, comic Kathy Griffin, and many more -- including President Obama -- joined the Twitter party to talk about the news.
Ellen DeGeneres said, "Thank you Senators for pushing us one step closer towards full equality."
Kelly Osbourne tweeted, "Today is an amazing day I could not have woken up to better news. The senate repealed DADT...this is a huge step towards equality for all."
Katy Perry rejoiced by retweeting Pink, "SUPPORTING ALL OUR TROOPS! RT @Pink: Congrats 2 US!!! REPEAL of DADT & 17 years of allowing Human Rights Violations. There's hope after all."
Bravo's 'What What Happens: Live' host Andy Cohen declared, "HOLY EQUALITY! Yes, Gays, there is a Santa Claus."
Kathy Griffin tweeted, "FINALLY! Equality IS coming!"
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Emmy nominee for 'Modern Family,' wrote, "Stepping closer to Equality! Good Job America!!!! Don't Ask Don't Tell closer to being on the 'Remember-how-crazy-it-was-when...' list!"
Of course, President Obama weighed in on the topic, telling Twitter followers: "By ending 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' no longer will patriotic Americans be asked to live a lie in order to serve the country they love."
MORE ABOUT Lady Gaga
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Lady Gaga Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Jim Parsons to star in NBC's ?Elf' animated holiday special
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- Ed Sheeran "Feels Bad," Says He'll Apologize to Miley Cyrus After Calling Her a Stripper
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets