'Biggest Loser' Fave Ada Wong Clears Up 'Cultural' Wrinkle With Parents
By Nicki Gostin Posted Dec 20th 2010 11:35PM
Why do you think you were a fan favorite?
The fact that I didn't have much support early on. That resonated with people and they felt bad for me. It seemed like America adopted me because they saw a lack of support. It all started with me not getting a video but a lot of it was cultural and there was mis-communication. I don't want to make it seem like my parents were completely un-supportive. I was brought up a different way and they were brought up a different way. We don't usually show support through affection. The American culture is a lot more affectionate.
Why do you think this finale got such big ratings?
The fact that the theme was 'Pay It Forward,' that resonated with people and then there was drama. I know when I watch shows I like to get a mix of drama and feel good. I like to go on an emotional roller-coaster. I feel like a lot of the stories this season were relatable to a lot of people.
How much did you weigh before?
258 pounds. I lost 99 pounds. I want to lose another five or so pounds. More importantly I want to focus on toning up my body a little more and becoming a better athlete. I made the shift from being the overweight girl trying to lose weight to being the girl who wants to be more physically fit.
What do you say to critics who say the show is an unrealistic way to lose weight?
I wouldn't say it's unrealistic. It's a fast track way. Most people wouldn't be able to put in six hours of exercise a day and have all the resources we had. There are a good percentage of people who gain the weight back because your body is just used to being a certain way.
People put the weight back on because they don't exercise and eat more.
Old habits die hard right? Your body sometimes wants to go back to the old lifestyle, that's what makes you gain the weight back. For any person who loses weight you have to be award of the struggle. Just because you lost the weight doesn't mean you can't go back to your old ways.
Was eating an addiction for you?
Yes for me it was. So like any addiction I have to be aware of it every day. Every morning I wake up and think about the things I want to eat and why I shouldn't. My focus has shifted because now I'm in a maintenance mode. I can eat more carbs and work out less. I don't have to burn more than I eat.
So how do plan on keeping the weight off?
We have a doctor that we work with and he gave me a new calorie intake and exercise regime. I work out an hour and a half a day and I eat around 1800 calories a day. As long as you eat good quality food you can feel satiated all day.
What was your downfall?
I didn't think about what I was eating. I was an emotional eater. I just indulged. It was an addiction. Now I think about it because I'm aware of it. I don't want to go back to that weight. I know I'll have struggles along the way but I'm committed to this new lifestyle.
Anyone looking to get in shape at home with fan favorites from the show (including Ada) can check out The Biggest Loser Cardio Max Weight-Loss and Power Walk DVDs.
WATCH THE FINALE:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs Separate After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' Ex, Expecting Baby Number Six with Wife Victoria Prince
- Kim Kardashian Debuts Post-Baby Bikini Body, Drew Barrymore Reveals She's Having Another Baby Girl: Top 5 Wednesday Stories
- Hold On! Sofia Vergara Reportedly Puts The Brakes On Marriage Plans ? There's No Wedding Dress Or Date
- Gisele: She's not just like you
- "12 Years a Slave," "Osage County" top SAG nominations
- 'Duck Dynasty' fam spreads holiday cheer in Afghanistan
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Review Roundup: Critics Can't Find Middle Ground on Middle-earth
- Mena Suvari's Awkward Christmas Card With Her Boyfriend and Cat Is Absolute Perfection—Take a Look!
- American Horror Story: Coven Shocker: Gabourey Sidibe Talks Queenie's Fate, and Which Co-Star Brings a Baby Hand to Set