Were Globes Voters Bribed Into Picking 'Burlesque'?
By Rob Shuter Posted Dec 20th 2010 09:50AM
When the poorly-reviewed film 'Burlesque' earned a Best Picture (Musical or Comedy) Golden Globe nomination last week, many observers and everyday movie fans were left with stunned looks on their faces. A fun musical romp? Sure. But one of the best of the year? C'mon! Well, thanks to Patrick Goldstein of the the Los Angeles Times, we may now have an idea at just how Sony was able to swing such an honor from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
Goldstein opened a can of worms when he wrote last week that HFPA members "took a Sony-sponsored trip to Las Vegas to see Cher in concert, then gave her film a stunning best picture nod."
This shocking little nugget leaves us to wonder: Did the makers of 'Burlesque,' which currently sports a 39 percent rating from film critics over at Rotten Tomatoes, grease the palms of the 81-member foreign press voting bloc in order to secure a nomination? Well, it's been done before, as The Independent notes:
All this scandal has angered one of the stars of 'Burlesque,' Cher, who I'm told had no idea Sony was flying the voters to Vegas to see her perform."In 1981, the unknown Pia Zadora won a Best Newcomer award for her role in 'Butterfly,' a film which had been universally derided. It later emerged that the movie's producer, who was also her husband, had flown the entire HFPA to Las Vegas for a weekend holiday immediately before they voted."
"Cher is furious that this happened," an insider tells me. "She meets hundreds of people backstage every week and never asks what they do for a living. She just assumed this group was another group of fans for her to meet and greet."
My source tells me that if it's somehow confirmed that voters gave the film the nomination because they got a free trip to Vegas, "Cher would rather they keep the darn thing."
MORE ABOUT Cher
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Cher Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Halle Berry launching a lingerie line
- Zack Galifianakis grills Brad Pitt on 'Between Two Ferns'
- New report claims Elizabeth Pena died from alcohol abuse
- TV Ratings: Most Series Steady Against Improved World Series, 'The 100' Returns Down
- A Day in the (Very Busy) Life of Shondaland MVP Tom Verica
- Forever Fest 2014 to Feature 'Mean Girls' 10th Anniversary Screening (Exclusive)
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- It's Official: Christian Bale Will Play Steve Jobs in Aaron Sorkin-Penned Biopic
- Brad Pitt's 'Between Two Ferns' Is the Most Hilarious Installment to Date
- The 'Insidious: Chapter 3' Trailer Is Frightfully Fun (VIDEO)