Eliza Dushku's 30th Birthday Wish: Assistance For Child Soldiers
By Sarah Crow Posted Dec 21st 2010 06:00PM
The 'Dollhouse' star enlisted Tonic's help in her quest to buy land in Uganda on which to build a recovery facility for the war-torn African nation's child soldiers and women forced into the sex trade.
Dushku describes how children are "still coming out of the bush after being grabbed out of bed in the middle of the night and handed an AK-47."
The actress, who turns 30 on December 30th, is enlisting the help of generous individuals to raise $30,000 needed to assist these individuals. The actress, who visited Gulu, Uganda in 2009 with her mother and boyfriend, Rick Fox, says of the effort, "Think of these kids being forced to become killers. I can't imagine anything more horrifying."
Dushku's inspiration for the campaign is her mother, Judith, an African politics professor at Boston's Suffolk University who runs non-profit organization THARCE-Gulu, whose goal is the creation and management of the rehabilitation center.
The success of THARCE-Gulu is just the beginning of Dushku's mission. "I'm realizing how many stories I want to tell about the people of the world," she says.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Watches The Voice
- Jaden Smith Battles Penelope Disick in Adorable Staring Contest: See the Precious Picture
- Matthew McConaughey Spoofed on Saturday Night Live by Taran Killam: Watch the Hilarious Sketch Here
- Sibling Bridezillas! Kourtney Kardashian Vows To Make Her Own Wedding Just As ?Spectacular' As Kim's
- '300' sequel tops box office with $45.1M debut
- Reality polygamy family says 'It's like coming out of the closet' doing the show
- Raunchy Johnny Carson sex tape reportedly being shopped around