Eliza Dushku's 30th Birthday Wish: Assistance For Child Soldiers
By Sarah Crow Posted Dec 21st 2010 06:00PM
The 'Dollhouse' star enlisted Tonic's help in her quest to buy land in Uganda on which to build a recovery facility for the war-torn African nation's child soldiers and women forced into the sex trade.
Dushku describes how children are "still coming out of the bush after being grabbed out of bed in the middle of the night and handed an AK-47."
The actress, who turns 30 on December 30th, is enlisting the help of generous individuals to raise $30,000 needed to assist these individuals. The actress, who visited Gulu, Uganda in 2009 with her mother and boyfriend, Rick Fox, says of the effort, "Think of these kids being forced to become killers. I can't imagine anything more horrifying."
Dushku's inspiration for the campaign is her mother, Judith, an African politics professor at Boston's Suffolk University who runs non-profit organization THARCE-Gulu, whose goal is the creation and management of the rehabilitation center.
The success of THARCE-Gulu is just the beginning of Dushku's mission. "I'm realizing how many stories I want to tell about the people of the world," she says.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bill Cosby Under Police Investigation Amid Rape Allegations, More Women Claim Abuse: Report
- Ben McKenzie Admits to Using Handcuffs in Bed With a Woman, Talks Dating Regrets
- Will The Interview Ever Be Released? Sony Pictures Posts New Seth Rogen, James Franco Trailer
- The Colbert Report Ends With A Fight With Death, A Huge Celeb Sing-Along & Abraham Lincoln the Unicorn
- George Clooney on Sony Pulling The Interview: Kim Jong Un, ''of all F--king People,'' Is Telling Us What We Can Watch
- Who's Pressuring Tiffani Thiessen to Get Pregnant Again?! White Collar Star Talks Planning for Baby No. 2