Eliza Dushku's 30th Birthday Wish: Assistance For Child Soldiers
By Sarah Crow Posted Dec 21st 2010 06:00PM
The 'Dollhouse' star enlisted Tonic's help in her quest to buy land in Uganda on which to build a recovery facility for the war-torn African nation's child soldiers and women forced into the sex trade.
Dushku describes how children are "still coming out of the bush after being grabbed out of bed in the middle of the night and handed an AK-47."
The actress, who turns 30 on December 30th, is enlisting the help of generous individuals to raise $30,000 needed to assist these individuals. The actress, who visited Gulu, Uganda in 2009 with her mother and boyfriend, Rick Fox, says of the effort, "Think of these kids being forced to become killers. I can't imagine anything more horrifying."
Dushku's inspiration for the campaign is her mother, Judith, an African politics professor at Boston's Suffolk University who runs non-profit organization THARCE-Gulu, whose goal is the creation and management of the rehabilitation center.
The success of THARCE-Gulu is just the beginning of Dushku's mission. "I'm realizing how many stories I want to tell about the people of the world," she says.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Halloween Movie and Wine Pairings: What to Drink and Watch
- Lea Michele Strips Down to Her Little Red Riding Hood Bustier to Show Off Her Teeny Waistline: See Her Sexy Halloween Costume
- Maria Menounos Dressed Up as Kelly Kapowski for Halloween, Winning Our Vote for Best Throwback Costume
- Sad Goodbye: Teresa Giudice Says This ?RHONJ' Reunion Could Be Her Last
- From Wigs To Microchips & More! Amanda Bynes' 14 Most Bizarre Moments
- ?Controlling!’ Portia de Rossi ‘Checking In’ On Wife Ellen DeGeneres At Work ? ?Worried' She'll Cheat?
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers