The Top 40 Entertainment News Stories of 2010 on PopEater
By PopEater Staff Posted Dec 21st 2010 09:00AM
Another year in the books of shocking, saddening, hilarious and heartbreaking headlines here at PopEater HQ. We did some serious number-crunchin' to calculate which headlines you, our faithful readers, clicked on most from January to December. Whether trivial, tragic or totally unexpected, all had one big thing in common -- they were all extremely popular. Starting with ...
40. David Arquette Tells Howard Stern About the Other Woman. David Arquette decided to explain his separation from Courteney Cox on-air, giving the radio host one of his most revealing interviews of the year. Arquette revealed bedroom details, including that he had gone months during his marriage without sleeping with his wife and had also had a brief fling with a waitress after he and Cox had decided to take a break.
39. Kathy Griffin's Bristol Palin Teasing Earns Boos. The troops at the Marine Corps Air Station in California jeered Kathy Griffin at 'VH1 Divas: Salute the Troops' for a lame joke taunting Bristol Palin for seemingly being the "only contestant in the history of ['Dancing With the Stars'] to actually gain weight" during the show. Watch the Moment:
Countdown More Top Moments After the Jump
38. John Goodman Looks Better Than Ever! Goodman showed up at a red carpet event in June looking fitter and healthier than ever. He was significantly heavier as recently as October 2009 [below left, in Germany]. The 'Big Lebowski' and 'Roseanne' star turned 58 on June 20. Read More on How He Did It >>>
37. Brittany Murphy's Cause of Death Determined. The 'Clueless' actress's death was accidental, the LA County Coroner determined in February. According to the coroner's findings, the 32-year-old died of community acquired pneumonia, iron deficiency anemia and multiple drug intoxication -- which included prescription and over-the-counter drugs. More Details on Her Death >>>
36. Olivia Newton-John's Ex: I'm Alive, Now Stop Looking For Me. The former boyfriend of Olivia Newton-John, who vanished five years ago, has given private investigators conclusive proof he is alive in the hopes that everyone will now leave him alone. Patrick McDermott, missing since a 2005 fishing trip in California, reportedly sent voice messages and other documents to Philip Klein, who was hired by NBC's 'Dateline' to track him down. Read More on the Mystery Solved >>>
35. Sandra Bullock: Let's Get Back To Normal. When Sandra Bullock stepped onto the stage at the MTV Movie Awards in June, she received a rapturous standing ovation from the crowd. In the wake of Jesse James' cheating scandal, the audience seemed to be echoing the support the Oscar winner has received from the public. Wearing a sequined black dress, Bullock addressed the crowd, saying she just wants to "go back to normal" and that she's "not going anywhere." Then Scarlett Johansson made her move. Watch it Here
34. Pat Sajak Apologizes for Keith Olbermann. The 'Wheel of Fortune' host wrote on his blog that he was to blame for exposing all to Obermann when he featured the cable host on his short-lived talk show in 1989. "I was the person who introduced Keith Olbermann to America ... I'm not sure how he morphed into the bitter-sounding, hate-mongering name-caller he's become, but I'm sorry he did," Sajak wrote.
33. O'Reilly Says Aniston Is One 'Destructive' Woman. Jennifer Aniston told reporters over the summer that women don't need men to start a family or be good mothers. When Bill O'Reilly caught wind of her statement, he debated the topic of single motherhood on 'The O'Reilly Factor' and called out the 41-year-old actress. "She's throwing a message out to 12-year-olds and 13-year-olds that, 'Hey you don't need a guy. You don't need a dad.' That is destructive to our society," O'Reilly railed. Read More About His Rant >>>
32. Pink's Wet Grammy Performance. Pink brought the circus to her Grammy Awards performance in February with acrobatics and aqua.
<<< 31. Elinor Burkett's Kanye Moment at the Oscars. Maybe it went semi-unnoticed because they were accepting one of the night's lower-profile awards, but the personal tiff between 'Music by Prudence' producer Elinor Burkett and director-producer Roger Ross Williams spilled over on stage at March's Oscars, causing one of the night's weirder moments.
Burkett rushed the stage while Williams was doing his thank-yous and verbally nudged him aside so she could speak. The problem is, she was not supposed to accept the award, and because of personal animosity between the two filmmakers, she said Williams rushed to the stage while his cane-wielding mother blocked Burkett from exiting the aisle. Read More on the Oddities >>>
30. How Belinda Carlisle Beat a 30-Year Drug Habit. "I hit a lot of bottoms," the former Go-Go told PopEater's Nicki Gostin while discussing her searing new memoir, 'Lips Unsealed.' Those lows had an awful lot to do with a cocaine habit that grabbed hold of her for 30 years. Now 51, she's been sober only five years. "I don't know why it took me so long," she says. Read More of Our Exclusive Interview >>>
29. Katy Perry's Busty Duet with Elmo Cut. Perry's cleavage was too much for 'Sesame Street' as they cut out a spoof of 'Hot 'N Cold' between the singer and the furry red star in September. Watch the now-notorious clip:
28. Rest in Peace Rue. Rue McClanahan, one of the last surviving stars of the seminal sitcom 'The Golden Girls,' died in June after suffering a massive stroke, her manager confirmed to PEOPLE. She was 76 years old at the time of her death. "She passed away at 1 AM this morning. She had a massive stroke," Barbara Lawrence told the magazine, adding that the actress "had her family with her. She went in peace." Read Rue's Obit >>>
27. Carrie Underwood Ties the Knot. Country crooner Carrie Underwood officially came off the market when she wed Ottawa Senators hockey player Mike Fisher in July. Fisher and Underwood, who began dating in 2008, tied the knot in front of 250 family members and guests, including Garth Brooks, Faith Hill and 'Idol' judges Paula Abdul, Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell.
26. Jesse James Asks for Forgiveness. Under increased scrutiny over claims he'd been unfaithful, Jesse James issued a statement in March apologizing to wife Sandra Bullock for causing "pain and embarrassment beyond comprehension." The reality TV host says he alone is to blame for the scandal, although he does not admit to specific details. He also claims the "vast majority" of reports are false. Read More From When the Stories Were Just Coming Out >>> At the time, 69 percent of our 101K voters thought Sandy shouldn't accept the apologies. Turns out, those voters were right.
25. Corey Haim Dies at 38. We mourned the teen idol, who rose to fame in 1980s classics 'The Lost Boys' and 'Lucas,' after he died in March. Haim collapsed in the Oakwood apartment belonging to his mother, who was at home at the time and called 911.
"As he got out of bed, he felt a little weak and went down to the floor on his knees," Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said.
Haim's mother later said she received a call from the LA County Coroner's Office, who told her that an autopsy found her son had an enlarged heart and his lungs were filled with water. His cause of death was due to pulmonary congestion. Read More on Haim and His Work >>>
24. "I Won't Let My Dad's Dreams Die." Josh Harris, son of late 'Deadliest Catch' captain Phil, spoke to PopEater about keeping his father's memory alive as grueling episodes of the show hit the air. Read Our Interview >>>
23. Blubbering Chris Brown Steals the Show at the BET Awards. Brown broke down and blubbered his way through a tribute to his idol, Michael Jackson. Haven't Seen It Yet? Time to Watch >>>
22. Saying Goodbye to a Legendary Funnyman. 'Naked Gun' and 'Airplane!' star Leslie Nielsen died at 84 after a bout with pneumonia. "He just fell asleep and passed away," reported the actor's family in November. Read More on Nielsen's Career >>>
21. Eva Longoria And Tony Parker Split. Eva Longoria filed for divorce from basketball star Tony Parker citing "irreconcilable differences" as a reason for the split. Rumors of Parker's infidelity began just months after they wed in 2007. Read More About the Divorce
20. An Eerie Similarity: The Los Angeles County Coroner's Office determined in July that Simon Monjack died from acute pneumonia and severe anemia, the exact same two conditions that caused the death of his wife, Brittany Murphy, in December 2009.
19. Is 'Biggest Loser' Dangerous? Kai Hibbard, a finalist on the third season of 'The Biggest Loser,' revealed how dangerous she feels the show really is to its contestants. "I have people that come up to me and talk to me and ask me why they can't lose 12 pounds in a week when I did. When I didn't. It didn't happen. It's TV. I need to take blame and responsibility for the fact that I helped perpetuate a myth that's dangerous." Read More on Her Reveal >>>
Read More >>>
17. Why Did Anna Paquin Come Out as a Bisexual. Earlier this year, 'True Blood' and 'X-Men' star Anna Paquin surprised Hollywood when she announced she was bisexual in a PSA for the Give a Damn campaign. It was the first time the actress, who is engaged to 'True Blood' co-star Stephen Moyer, made her sexual preferences public. The actress explained why she spoke up and why she didn't think she'd done anything remarkable by coming out. More of Her Reveal >>>
16. Chelsea Handler Calls Angelina Jolie a "Homewrecker." After spending Thanksgiving in Mexico with BFF Jennifer Aniston, tart-tongued funnywoman Chelsea Handler didn't hide her feelings for Angelina Jolie at at a comedy show in December, calling Angie "a home-wrecking "b***h" who doesn't have any female friends because she's a [c-word]." Handler's comments spread so quickly that some wondered if she helped contribute to the poor box office of Jolie's 'The Tourist.' Watch Chelsea's Anti-Angie Rant
15. Oprah Winfrey Denies That She and Gayle King Are Lesbians. Winfrey got emotional when Barbara Walters asked her about her close relationship with King. "She is ... the mother I never had. She is ... the sister everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves. I don't know a better person. I don't know a better person."
Winfrey then tried to hold back tears. "It's making me cry because I'm thinking about ... how much ... I probably have never told her that. I have said we are not gay enough times. I'm not lesbian ... I'm not even kinda lesbian," Winfrey says. "And the reason why it irritates me is because it means that somebody must think I'm lying. That's number one. Number two, why would you want to hide it? That is not the way I run my life." More From Oprah's Interview >>>
14. 'Growing Pains' Star's Suicide. Unable to hold back sobs during a dramatic press conference in Feburary, 'Star Trek' star Walter Koenig confirmed that his son, Andrew, had taken his own life and had been found in Vancouver's Stanley Park. "My son took his own life," an emotional Koenig told a rapt press corp about his son, who had played Boner on the '80s sitcom. More on Koenig's Death >>>
13. Simon Cowell Grants Dying Girl's Wish. Simon Cowell fulfilled five-year-old Bethany Fenton's final wish before she lost her battle with a brain tumor. She achieved her dream of singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' for Cowell when she visited the 'Britain's Got Talent' studios in North London ahead of the show's finale on June 5 and even met some of the finalists in the competition. More on Cowell's Kindness >>>
12. Single Ladies Did 'Nothing Provocative.' In May, a YouTube video surfaced from The World of Dance competition in which a group of young -- and we mean really young -- girls wearing midriff-baring tops, short skirts and black stockings dance to Beyonce's 'Single Ladies.' The dance troupe, called Precision Dance, hails from Orange County, and definitely "put a ring on it" during the competition in Pomona on April 10. Larry Peters, executive vice president of The Hozman Group and rep for the dance competition, says the controversy was blown out of proportion. "There has been a great deal of controversy regarding this performance, and it has been taken out of context. It is a little sensitive now, to say the least," Peters told PopEater. Read More on the Controversy >>>
11. 'View' Hosts Storm Off Their Own Set. Fireworks erupted on the set of 'The View' in October when hosts Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar left the set during an interview with Bill O'Reilly while discussing the proposed "Ground Zero mosque." The heated discussion went back and forth, but the blowout came after O'Reilly said, "Muslims killed us on 9/11." Goldberg and Behar attempted to specify that it was an extremist sect within Islam and not the religion itself that attacked the U.S. When O'Reilly continued to argue his point, the enraged hosts walked off the set, creating one of the year's most spontaneous TV moments. Read More About the 'View' Showdown >>>
10. Sandra Bullock Sets Her Sights on Life Away From Hollywood. Sandra Bullock has been through more than anyone can imagine over the past few months, so it's no wonder she'd be planning a major change. Our own Rob Shuter reported that the Oscar-winning actress was considering packing up and leaving the drama-filled city of Los Angeles in order to get away from her now ex-husband Jesse James and the wreckage he brought forth with his infidelity. Shuter's Original Report >>>
9. Why We Were Team Coco. PopEater threw its support to Conan O'Brien in the heat of the cold January late night wars. Sixty five percent of our 80K voters were with us instead of team Leno. Read Our Pop-Ed
8. Charlie Sheen's Wild New York Night. A night in New York's Plaza Hotel ended with a drunk and naked arrest for Charlie Sheen, after he badly damaged his surroundings in a fit of rage. Police described Sheen as being "emotionally disturbed" when they arrived. Police gave Sheen a choice between jail and treatment, and he was subsequently admitted to a New York hospital. Sheen had spent the night, including a fancy dinner, in the company of porn star Capri Anderson. His ex-wife Denise Richards and their children were also in the hotel at the time. More on the Sheen Scandal >>>
7. Bret Michaels' Brain Hemorrhage. We held our breath as dear PopEater pal Bret Michaels was in critical condition in April with a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage. He pulled through and spoke with us early in June. "I combined diabetes with appendicitis with a brain hemorrhage, then a warning stroke and the PFO ... that's a five whammy cocktail punch. If you would have told me all that combined together, I would have said, 'That person has to be a goner,'" Bret told us. Read More of Our Interview >>>
6. We Are Introduced To the Magic of Greyson Chance. Who looks like Justin Bieber, sounds like Lady Gaga and plays piano like a sixth-grade virtuoso? This guy! A stunning video of a young Biebz-look-alike/Gaga-sound-alike jamming a 'Paparazzi' cover surfaced back in May, and we spent our day watching the clip, like, 95 times. It was only days before he appeared on 'Ellen' and rumors of a record deal surfaced. Watch the Viral Phenom >>>
5. Goodbye Dixie. Legendary TV star Dixie Carter, who earned millions of fans on shows like 'Designing Women' and 'Diff'rent Strokes,' died in April. She was 70. Carter died in Houston of complications from endometrial cancer. Read Her Obit >>>
4. Miley's Big Hit: Bong Video Goes Viral: A video obtained by TMZ shows the 'Hannah Montana' star taking hits from a bong that was reportedly filled with a natural herb called salvia, which when smoked has psychedelic qualities. Possession of salvia is currently legal in California. The video was reportedly taken five days after Miley turned 18. Cyrus turns to her friend during the video and asks, "Is it me tripping? Is it me tripping?" Watch the Video and Revisit the Controversy >>>
3. The First Sign of Trouble for Sandra Bullock. It was just a little over a week after the Oscars that a tabloid report surfaced putting Jesse James with another woman. No way, we said. Then Sandra pulled out of an overseas 'Blind Side' premiere and her heartbreak went public. How We First Broke the Story To Our Readers >>>
2. Lindsay Lohan Sentenced to Jail. Troubled actress Lindsay Lohan spent a little time locked up in Lynwood, Calif., this year after violating her probation. In September, she flunked a court-ordered drug test (in which cocaine was reportedly detected), again violating her probation terms. Rather than being sent back to jail, a judge ordered the star to the Betty Ford Center for a rehab program, where she remains today. Compare the Lindsay Lohan Mugshot Collection >>>
1. The Death of Gary Coleman. The 'Diff'rent Strokes' star died in late May after suffering a intracranial hemorrhage that left him in a coma and on life support. The actor was taken to the hospital earlier that week and his condition deteriorated as the days went on. After being on life support for at least a day, his family made the decision to remove him from the machinery that was keeping him alive. Read the Story >>> and Count Down Last Year's Biggest PopEater Stories
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Alleged hacked McKayla Maroney pics banned from Reddit; site says she would be underage in them
- Justin Bieber charged with assault, Ontario police say
- Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton reportedly turn down $1 million Las Vegas show deal
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Rihanna's Bikini Pics While on Her Italian Vacation
- Katy Perry Is Unrecognizable As Awkward Teen in 2001 Throwback Video!
- Justin Bieber Arrested for ?Dangerous Driving' Following ATV Crash