David Schwimmer Hopes to Repeal R-Rating on Cyber Predator Movie
By Jett Wells Posted Dec 22nd 2010 10:47AM
According to The Wrap, executive producer Avi Lerner is appealing the decision before the Appeals Board on Wednesday in hopes of receiving a PG-13 rating.
"While we respect the MPAA's rating system, we must appeal the R rating given to 'Trust.' This film exposes the true threats posed by cyber predators. It sends a clear message to teens and parents; to be aware of the real dangers of cyber space," Lerner said in a statement. "Teens must be allowed to see 'Trust.' They need to know the truth."
The news comes after 'Blue Valentine' successfully repealed its initial NC-17 rating and got reduced to an R, but Schwimmer's case is not about the visual images but the educational benefit to kids.
"I want to invite more of a conversation between parents and their kids," Schwimmer told The Wrap. "There are a lot of issues that need public pressure and attention, there are still thousands of registered sex offenders on MySpace and Facebook. There are thousands of unopened rape kits sitting in freezers in police departments and labs around the country. There are so many issues around this that I just want to do my part to raise more awareness, and public pressure."
Schwimmer stresses there is no nudity in the movie, but MPAA ruled the rating based on a visual of a teenage girl being assaulted. In an interview with Deadline Hollywood, Schwimmer stressed that the MPAA is setting a double standard.
"The idea that Clive's character should respond by shouting 'Fiddlesticks' is just not real," Schwimmer said. "Let's face it, kids have heard and seen it all. What I find frustrating is there are plenty of films that get PG-13 that are the so violent. There is a double standard. You can't show nudity or hear the F-word, but you can show people being blown to bits and chopped up. Maybe a public forum will show that the ratings system needs to be updated to reflect the times. It is quite old."
'Trust' stars Clive Owen and Catherine Keener, and debuts on April 1, 2011.
Watch the trailer for 'Trust' below:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'The Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Break Time: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' inspires racy lingerie line
- Candace Cameron Bure: 'I'm not going to get naked, and I'm not going to have sex scenes'
- CineAsia: Premium Cinema Offerings Becoming Less Rewarding for Exhibitors
- Blake Lively Exits CAA (Exclusive)
- Britney Spears Reveals Lip Injection Treatments
- Britney Spears is right: 5 reasons ?Chaotic' is her worst career move ever ? VIDEO
- ?Time' 2013 Person of the Year finalists: Miley Cyrus, President Obama among top 10
- ?Super Mario 3D World' review: The portly plumber's latest is totally pawesome
- Eleanor Parker, 'Sound of Music' Actress, Dead at 91
- AFI Reveals Top 10 Movies of 2013
- And the 10 Most Overpaid Actors Are...