R&B Star and 'Lovergirl' Singer Teena Marie Dead at 54
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Dec 26th 2010 11:23PM
Born Marie Christine Brockert, Teena Marie -- famously known as Rick James' protegee as well as her nickname 'The Ivory Queen of Soul' -- rose to fame in the late 70s and 80s. The Grammy nominated singer-songwriter released her debut 'Wild and Peaceful' via Motown Records in 1979. The album featured 'I'm a Sucker for Your Love,' Marie's first Top Ten hit, but Marie would go on to have many more hits, including 'Square Biz,' 'Lovergirl' and 'Ooo La La La.'
The cover of 'Wild and Peaceful' did not feature her image, with Motown apparently fearing backlash by audiences if they found out the songstress with the dynamic voice was white.
Teena Marie's official Web site pays respect to the departed star. Credit: IvoryQueenofSoul.com
Marie's career spanned four decades. During her tenure with Motown, the singer-songwriter and musician produced passionate love songs and funk jam songs like 'Need Your Lovin',' and 'Behind the Groove.' She released 13 albums, including 2009's 'Congo Square.' 'Congo Square' was a nod to an area in the Treme section of New Orleans where slaves would gather in the 18th century to perform. Marie collaborated with her daughter Alia Rose on the project and also teamed with Faith Evans, MC Lyte and Shirley Murdock.
Marie had a daughter and had toured in recent years after overcoming an addiction to prescription drugs. Get More About Teena at The Boombox
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Keira Knightley: I'm a spelling error
- Blake Shelton to make movie debut in Adam Sandler Western spoof
- Supermodel Bar Refaeli getting hitched?
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: GoDaddy Pulls ?Puppy' Ad from Super Bowl
- Pics! 'Bachelorette' Desiree Hartsock and Hubby Chris Siegfried's Hot Honeymoon
- Is There a David Letterman and Jay Leno Reunion in the Works?
- Chelsea Handler Touts Middle East Peace, Goes Topless and Wears Only Star of David Pasties in Israel While Riding a Camel
- Minions Get Naked, Go Streaking in Super Bowl XLIX Ad -- Watch the Craziness Here!
- Kim Kardashian: Jennifer Lawrence "Screamed" When She Saw Me, Loves My Family's Show