Was 2010 the Year of the Cheater?
By Jo Piazza Posted Dec 27th 2010 09:00AM
It happens. Some men cheat. Some rich and famous men cheat a little more than the average guy. In celebrity-land, we take this as a given. But the headlines from the past year spell something different. Doesn't it seem like the Y-chromosomed among us were stricken with an epidemic of unfaithfulness in 2010?
Let's start at the very beginning. While Tiger Woods' infidelity was officially exposed in 2009, we didn't realize the full scale of his harem of insignificant others until the early months of 2010, when we watched as the notches on Tiger's bed post went from three to five to nine to twelve! Did he really pick up a woman in a pancake house? Does his game really include the line: "I'm bone thugs and harmony"? According to the text records from some of his lovely ladies, it did.
As we wept for poor Elin Nordegren (so sweet, so shy, so Swedish), we all agreed no man could possibly cheat on a nicer, more beautiful woman.
Until one did.
Later, we learned that sometime reality star and motor sport enthusiast Jesse James had been unfaithful to America's sweetheart, Sandra Bullock. For shame! We believed Tiger had the market cornered on low-rent mistresses, but Jesse had him beat. Michelle "Bombshell" McGee made adult film stars Loredana Jolie and Joslyn James look like Sunday school teachers.
The gates were unleashed, Pandora's box was opened and the tabloids had a field day as an alleged mistress of none other than Ashton Kutcher started sharing her own raunchy text messages from Mr. Demi Moore.
With the arrival of fall, we learned that aging quarterback Brett Favre had allegedly sent raunchy self portraits and X-rated messages over text and MySpace (the kicker in that one was that Favre still uses MySpace).
Next we saw David Arquette and Courteney Cox split. Even though he denies ever cheating on his loving wife, can anyone believe him at this point? A precedent has been set and no Hollywood man can be trusted.
More recently, Eva Longoria Parker decided to drop the Parker from her name after discovering a cadre of inappropriate text messages between her ballplayer husband and the wife of a teammate.
Not even Wisteria Lane was safe.
Here's to hoping that 2011 brings a year of good tidings and cheer -- along with men with a little more self-control. But a word to the wise for you famous men who just can't help but stray next year: It's the text messages that get you every time (and sometimes, we suppose, the MySpace).
MORE ABOUT Tiger Woods
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Tiger Woods Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jessica, Ashlee Simpson's Children Maxwell, Ace, and Bronx Steal the Show at Belk Fashion Event: Family Photos
- Bill Cosby Rape Allegations: Former Playmate Victoria Valentino Becomes the 16th Victim to Speak Out
- Cameron Diaz, SNL Women Record Funny New Music Video "Back Home Baller": Watch Now, Plus See the Annie Skit!
- Jessica Simpson And Ashlee Simpson Ross Come Home For The Holidays In Support Of The Jessica Simpson Collection And The Launch Of Jessica Simpson Home At Belk Galleria Dallas
- Nicole Kidman Attends The World Premiere Of ‘Paddington’ At Odeon Leicester Square
- 6 Photos Of Debra Messing’s New $5.45 Million Digs In The Big Apple
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- Robin Williams' son remembers his dad and Christopher Reeve's friendship