PopEater's Celebrity of the Year: Kim Kardashian
By Jo Piazza Posted Dec 27th 2010 06:00PM
There's no denying that this has been Kim Kardashian's year. Sure, Kim was already a famous face this time last year, but could we go a day without hearing about her at least twice? Yes, we could. Could we check out at the supermarket without seeing her face on the cover of at least one magazine each week? Yup. Was she a global brand and a domestic tour de force? Not yet. All of that has changed in the past twelve months with Kim becoming the most famous face of 2010.
It's all our fault. We asked for this. We, the consumers of celebrity culture, made Kim the most searched person on Microsoft's search engine Bing this year, beating out Michael Jackson, Barack Obama and yes, dear, dear Justin Bieber.
She dominates social media, with a Twitter following of 5.4 million and a Klout score of 86 out of 100 (that means people are actually paying attention to what she tweets). She can command more than $100,000 for a personal appearance and $50,000 for just one tweet.
Her book, 'Kardashian Konfidential,' is sure to stay on many bestseller lists, after thousands of fans lined up around the block for copies the week it was released.
But what really makes Kim the Celebrity of the Year? She works for it.
"We have movie stars who are in one movie a year. They promote that movie and we don't hear from them. Kim is out there working it 365 days a year," says Jonathan Cheban, Kim's good pal and star of the Kardashian-executive produced 'Spin Crowd.'
She appeals to everyone, whether they will admit it or not.
"Whether you're black or white, young or old, Kim has something for everyone. Guys want to be with her and girls want to be like her," Cheban adds.
Our own Naughty but Nice Rob Shuter believes that Kardashian has become an even bigger celebrity than Angelina Jolie.
"Everything she touches turns to gold," Shuter declares. "Our fascination with Kim gets deeper and deeper the more we get to know her. Unlike other celebrities that we get quickly bored with, Kim has managed to keep us all watching. I'm not really sure what Kim even does, but I can't stop watching. I have never met a celebrity before that works harder than Kim. She is her own hobby!"
What really makes Kim our Celebrity of the Year is her accessibility. She has invaded every aspect of our lives and we have welcomed her with open arms. Unlike, say, Angelina or Jennifer Aniston, we feel like we can reach out and touch Kim, cuddle with her, if you will, and that makes us want more of her. It makes us buy her products, watch her shows and read her book.
Here's to you, Kim. We expect big things in 2011.
Watch what Kim's BFF, Jonathan Cheban, has to say about the world's fascination with the Kardashians.
MORE ABOUT Kim Kardashian
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Kim Kardashian Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tori Spelling Confirms Dean McDermott's True Tori Departure; Scott Disick Argues With Kourtney Kardashian Over Need For Space: Top 5 Stories
- President Obama's Teenage Daughters Were Not Impressed During the White House Turkey Pardon -- Watch Their Priceless Reactions
- Jennifer Aniston Calls Justin Theroux Her "Creative Crush", Says He Will Spend 20 Minutes Trying to Scare Her at Night
- Bollywood actress sentenced to 26 years in jail for blasphemy in Pakistan
- FOX411's pic of the day
- '19 Kids & Counting's' cousin Amy Duggar reaches for Nashville dreams
- Jessica Simpson Shares Adorable Photo of "Wild Turkeys" Maxwell and Ace at the Lake—See the Cute Pic!
- Remembering Paul Walker One Year Later: Cody Walker Reflects on His Brother's Life and Legacy
- Bill Cosby Joke Gone Wrong: Roseanne Barr Tweets Then Deletes Picture Post About Getting Into a "Tussle" With the Actor