Who Will Be a Comeback Kid in 2011?
By Jo Piazza Posted Dec 31st 2010 05:00PM
This past year gave us some spectacular flameouts. Sure, Lindsay Lohan and Mel Gibson were a long time coming, but did we really expect them to go down in such a blaze of glory? With all the drama 2010 brought with it finally behind us, the dust beginning to settle and Charlie Sheen's 'Two and a Half Men' in re-runs for the holidays, we can finally take the time we need to reflect on which famous faces we will welcome back with open arms and who will be relegated to the dog house for yet another year.
Sheen is the comeback kid who needs no explanation. He is encased in an armor of career kryptonite that no assault charge, thrown hotel lamp, prostitute or illegal drug can penetrate. Charlie will remain an overwhelmingly celebrated television star, and his most recent consort, Capri Anderson, will be relegated to the dusty corners of Charlie's memory, where he once shot Kelly Preston and no one cared.
Paris Hilton proved in 2010 that not all press is good press. She was finally banned from Las Vegas once and for all, not for leaving her undies at home one too many times, but rather for inexpertly stashing her cocaine in her purse so that it spilled out in front of the wrong people. Paris not only had to face the harsh reality of the law, but she had to face the reality of irrelevance. Vegas could finally stand to lose Paris because they had gained something better, a cadre of Kardashians (three times the fun in just as little clothing). But we haven't seen the last of Paris. Never forget that this woman is an evil genius who first wormed her way into our souls with a grainy night-vision sex tape. Paris will find a way to assault our senses before next year is through.
Lindsay Lohan will certainly try to stage a comeback in 2011. She simply can't help herself. Word to the wise Linds, no one wants to see your face until 2013. Laying low is your last best chance at redemption.
Speaking of laying low, 'O.C' starlet, serial party girl and 2009 flameout Mischa Barton has done a good job of it. So good in fact that we fully expect 2011 to be the year of Mischa. Her former posse has all been rehabbed, married or spawned and it looks like Mischa is all that is left. If she can get it together with her new down-market fashion line and pull off acting chops just a tad more honed than Marissa Cooper's fiery finale in the currently filming "Sibling" (with the Oscar-nominated Michael Clarke Duncan), Mischa may be the last woman standing from her party girl past.
Mel Gibson knows how to wait out a scandal. Following his 2006 drink-fueled anti-Semitic rant, which first made Mel unpalatable to his audience, he stepped out of the spotlight for nearly three years before making another movie. If his mad, mad baby mama Oksana Grigorieva has anything to do with it, he will have to double that this time around following her charges of domestic violence and the release of a miniseries of nasty voicemail messages. As long as Oksana wants to be famous, Mel's star will wane. We won't see a Mel comeback in 2011, but we may see Oksana get her own reality program.
And finally, our dark horse pick for a 2011 comeback: Jon Gosselin. You heard it here first. While his ex-wife Kate stole the spotlight in 2010 and Jon wallowed in his ill-fitting Ed Hardy attire, cuddled up with one low-rent floozy after the next, we believe he was secretly plotting comeback domination. We won't be at all surprised to see another Gosselin make an appearance on 'Dancing With the Stars' (or maybe 'Skating With the Stars,' one-up Kate!), 'Celebrity Fit Club' or some British iteration of 'Big Brother.' Maybe Jon will even start dating someone more abhorred than he is? We haven't heard the last of Jon. Expect big things from him in the next twelve months.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Timberlake goes folk in new movie ?Inside Llewyn Davis'
- 'Star Trek' does $70.6M on opening weekend, but falls short of studio's expectations
- Taylor Swift shines at Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes: Germany's Studio 100 Launches Film Division
- Cannes: 'Catching Fire' Star Sam Claflin Joins Lone Sherfig's 'Posh'
- Cannes: Kurt Russell, Peter Sarsgaard to Star in 'Bone Tomahawk' (Exclusive)
- ?All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' season finale: And the winner is?
- EW's Bite of the Night: Submit your favorite quote from tonight's best TV!
- ?Game of Thrones': OK Cupid reveals which characters are most compatible
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2
- 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)