Chuck Berry, 84, Falls Ill Onstage in Chicago
By Christine Fenno Posted Jan 2nd 2011 09:53AM
By the time the 84-year-old entertainer returned to the stage 15-20 minutes later, many in the crowd had left because of an announcement that the show was over; Berry nevertheless thanked the fans who remained before exiting the venue in a limo. Berry signed a release declining further medical treatment, according to a Chicago Fire Department spokesperson familiar with the incident.
"All I know is he felt faint, he felt weak, and I was told to call 911," concert promoter Michael Petryshyn told the WGN/Chicago Tribune team at Chicago Breaking News, shortly after Berry's departure.
One Chicago concertgoer told the Associated Press that the showbiz veteran was giving an erratic, out-of-tune performance when he seemed to fall ill.
The octogenarian rock icon -- internationally famous for his hits 'Johnny B. Goode,' 'Roll Over Beethoven,' 'My Ding-a-ling,' and 'Maybelline' -- had a busy weekend, playing two New Year's Eve shows in New York City (at B.B. King's Blues Club) before flying into the Windy City for Saturday's gig.
Here's Chuck Berry treating fans to 'Johnny B. Goode' during a 2008 appearance in London:
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Upton topless photos fake; model threatens to sue
- Jennie Garth opens up about split from Peter Facinelli
- Lena Dunham makes molestation joke, apologizes and adds 'women can have a lot of joke flexibility'
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Video! The Selena Gomez Question That Set Justin Bieber Off
- 'True Detective' Finale! The Plot Twist We Never Saw Coming
- Are Robin Thicke and Paula Patton Reconciling?