'Spider-Man' Stuntman Describes Back-Breaking Fall
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 3rd 2011 08:45AM
"The last thing I remember was, like, uh, just going, 'Oh, God,'" Tierney tells New York's WCBS-TV in an interview airing Monday night. He describes having to think mid-fall about how to minimize his inevitable injuries.
"I was falling, and then I saw, once I hit the darkness of the stage, I had to just turn it real quick, so I wasn't going to fall on my head and I crashed on my back," he says.
Tierney fell on Dec. 20 when a cable snapped during an aerial stunt -- the musical's fourth accident since October. The performer had surgery the following Friday and is quickly recovering from his injuries -- including four broken ribs, a hairline skull fracture, a bruised lung, cracks in three lumbar vertebrae, broken bones below the elbow and internal bleeding.
He spent Christmas weekend in the hospital, with his brother and mother by his side. Tierney's father told the Associated Press that the injured aerialist can't wait to return to his role.
Strict new safety measures have been implemented among the cast and backstage crew since Tierney's shocking accident.
Those new measures, focusing on a three-step process to ensure proper harnessing before each stunt, were announced two days after the accident. The operator or stagehand will fix the latch to the harness of the performer. Then, another stagehand nearby will verify that it's attached properly. That second person will then be in contact with the stage manager to verify the measures have been completed.
Natalie Mendoza, who was set to play Spidey's nemesis, dropped out of the show last week, a month after suffering a concussion when a piece of equipment dangling from a rope backstage hit her on the head.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- NYPD investigating Amanda Bynes' allegations of sexual assault
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Mariska Hargitay Returning for Law & Order: SVU Season 15
- Chris Pine Holds Hands With Swimsuit Model Amanda Frances
- Amanda Bynes Claims She Was "Sexually Harassed" by a Police Officer
- Amanda Bynes Claims Cop ‘Slapped My [Body Part], Alleges Bizarre Sexual Harassment’
- Ashton Kutcher Blames ‘Media’ For Ruining Twitter