Natalie Portman's Big News Boosts 'Swan' at Box Office
By Jo Piazza Posted Jan 3rd 2011 12:00PM
The personal bombshell that Natalie Portman will marry and is expecting her 'Black Swan' co-star Benjamin Millepied's baby gave the ballet thriller a box office boost this weekend, raising the take for the flick an estimated 35 percent from the previous weekend, according to Box Office Mojo.
During the weekend of Dec. 24-26, 'Black Swan' brought in an estimated $6.2 million, down 25 percent from the prior weekend's $8.3 million. That weekend was the first that the film was offered in wide release. Portman's camp announced her big news on Dec. 27. This past weekend, 'Black Swan' had its biggest weekend yet at the box office, with estimated sales of $8.4 million.
The movie also opened on an additional 87 screens nationwide. While that could account for some of the boost, the film was released on an additional 507 screens the weekend before -- when its box office take decreased by 25 percent.
The increase in interest could be due to the increased publicity surrounding the movie following Portman's announcement and an increased interest in watching the onscreen chemistry between the actress and her hubby to be.
The pair met on the film's set, where Millepied, a dancer in the New York City Ballet, choreographed the dance sequences and played Portman's partner.
MORE ABOUT Natalie Portman
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Natalie Portman Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Justin Bieber apologizes to China
- 'Bachelorette' contestant in critical condition after parachute accident, report says
- 7 worst Nickelodeon scandals
- HBO Inks Exclusive Deal with Amazon Prime
- Top Cable TV Exec Goes Undercover to Tackle Customer Complaints
- Viacom's My Nick Jr. Service to Launch in China
- Hot Docs 2014: 'The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz' Review
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief