Natalie Portman's Big News Boosts 'Swan' at Box Office
By Jo Piazza Posted Jan 3rd 2011 12:00PM
The personal bombshell that Natalie Portman will marry and is expecting her 'Black Swan' co-star Benjamin Millepied's baby gave the ballet thriller a box office boost this weekend, raising the take for the flick an estimated 35 percent from the previous weekend, according to Box Office Mojo.
During the weekend of Dec. 24-26, 'Black Swan' brought in an estimated $6.2 million, down 25 percent from the prior weekend's $8.3 million. That weekend was the first that the film was offered in wide release. Portman's camp announced her big news on Dec. 27. This past weekend, 'Black Swan' had its biggest weekend yet at the box office, with estimated sales of $8.4 million.
The movie also opened on an additional 87 screens nationwide. While that could account for some of the boost, the film was released on an additional 507 screens the weekend before -- when its box office take decreased by 25 percent.
The increase in interest could be due to the increased publicity surrounding the movie following Portman's announcement and an increased interest in watching the onscreen chemistry between the actress and her hubby to be.
The pair met on the film's set, where Millepied, a dancer in the New York City Ballet, choreographed the dance sequences and played Portman's partner.
MORE ABOUT Natalie Portman
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Natalie Portman Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Fast and Furious 7' could be canceled after Paul Walker's death
- Break Time: Rebecca Black regrets viral video 'Friday'?!
- Henry Cavill beats out other hunks as Glamour's sexiest man: Who's really the sexiest man of 2013?
- Embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Lands U.S. Sports Radio Gig
- TWC-Dimension to Finance, Distribute Adaptation of 'Veronica's Room'
- International Bestseller 'The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair' Lands Big Money U.S. Deal
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: 13 thoughts on the bombshell-casting bombshell
- ?The Sound of Music': We rank every song
- Join us for ?The Sing-Off' and EW's Live Google Hangout!
- 'The Wolf of Wall Street' Clip: Leonardo DiCaprio Makes How Much Money?! (EXCLUSIVE)
- 'Pompeii' Trailer: Kit Harington Faces a Power Greater Than the Roman Empire (VIDEO)
- '300: Rise of an Empire' Trailer: Eva Green Is Out to Kill Some Greeks (VIDEO)