Swedish Actor Per Oscarsson and Wife Feared Dead in House Fire
By The Editors at AOL News Posted Jan 3rd 2011 02:10AM
Firefighters in Skara in Vastergotland, in southwestern Sweden, were called Friday to the home of Oscarsson and wife Kia Ostling. By the time they arrived at the home, located outside of town, only the chimney was left standing, Sveriges Radio reported.
Oscarsson is believed to have died along with his wife in a fire.The remains of one person were pulled from the debris today, the radio network said, citing Swedish news agency TT. The victim had not been identified. Authorities were looking for a second body.
Oscarsson, 83, and Ostling, 67, had lived in the home for around 10 years, TheLocal.se said. They had told relatives they planned to remain at home over New Year's and their car was parked outside.
Firefighter believe the blaze started late Thursday or early Friday. A relative noticed the flames around mid-morning Friday and called for help, but by then it was too late, TheLocal.se said.
Oscarsson, one of Sweden's most respected actors, appeared in the Swedish-language movies 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' and 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest,' based on Stieg Larsson's immensely popular "Millennium" novels. He played ailing lawyer Holger Palmgren, the former legal guardian of heroine Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace).
Although he appeared in movies, on TV and on the stage, Oscarsson's most famous role was as starving writer Pontus in the 1966 film 'Hunger,' for which he received the best actor award at the Cannes Film Festival. He also won the National Society of Film Critics' award.
Get more at AOL News.
Recently Departed Celebrities
Tom Bosley, Oct. 19: He spent decades playing beloved characters on TV, most notably Howard Cunningham on 'Happy Days' and a small-town sheriff with a lot of murders on his hands in 'Murder She Wrote.' Bosley died of heart failure at 83.
Recently Departed Celebrities
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Tan Mom makes an unfortunate music video
- ?Daily Show' co-creator Lizz Winstead sparks outrage with Oklahoma tornado joke about conservatives
- Country star Toby Keith says tornado-ravaged Okla. hometown is 'resilient,' planning benefit
- John Malone's Liberty Global Eyes Sale of TV Channels Arm (Report)
- Cannes: Indian Director Anurag Kashyap on His Five Films on the Croisette (Q&A)
- Cannes: U.K.'s Rainmark Films Partners With Germany's Beta for Nordic Crime Thriller
- ?Glee': I don't know what month the show is taking place in and it's driving me insane!
- Nine highlights from Microsoft's debut of next-gen Xbox One
- ?Glee' star Jenna Ushkowitz takes EW's Pop Culture Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret