Meet the New 'At the Movies' Co-Host: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
By Moviefone Editors Posted Jan 5th 2011 11:35AM
But last month, the soon-to-be-revived show hit a snag. Mitchell was out of the program, leaving a starring spot to fill. However, the Chicago Sun-Times and other sources revealed that two replacement choices were already being pondered: "a young male in his mid-20s with little or no experience as a movie critic or as a TV talent," or another critic said to be the "female version of tart-tongued former 'American Idol' judge Simon Cowell."
And now we'll just have to keep wondering who the female Cowell was because the 'At the Movies' team decided to go with the young man, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky.
Vishnevetsky might be a new name on the scene, but he's got a slew of solid references. He's a critic and essayist at Mubi.com (previously The Auteurs), which features streaming art-house and foreign films.
He also co-founded Cine-File.info, writes for The Chicago Reader and is a programmer for the University of Chicago's Cine-File Selects series. Having moved to the U.S. from Russia when he was 9, he's also only 24 years old.
Ebert was "struck by the depth and detail of [Ignatiy's] film knowledge, and by how articulate he was," according to his press release.
Cancer surgery may have cost famed film critic Ebert his speech, but his familiar voice was resurrected when he debuted his new synthesized voice on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' in March last year.
Get more at Moviefone.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Pregnant celebs without the shy gene
- Orlando Bloom, Miranda Kerr dating former spouses?
- Tara Reid releases 'Sharknado'-inspired perfume. No, really
- Teen Choice Awards Move to Avoid UCLA Flood
- Bill Murray to Play Baloo in Disney's 'The Jungle Book'
- Winklevoss-Backed Shopping Tool Hukkster Shuts Down
- Lee Pace names the sex scene he's rewound? a lot
- Stephen Colbert gives heartfelt advice (no, really) to teenage girls
- The 'Birdman' Trailer Delivers a Strange, Squawky Peek at the Michael Keaton Flick (VIDEO)
- 9 Movies We Love But Can't Quite Figure Out
- Meryl Streep Is Learning the Guitar Because There's Nothing She Can't Do