Meet the New 'At the Movies' Co-Host: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
By Moviefone Editors Posted Jan 5th 2011 11:35AM
But last month, the soon-to-be-revived show hit a snag. Mitchell was out of the program, leaving a starring spot to fill. However, the Chicago Sun-Times and other sources revealed that two replacement choices were already being pondered: "a young male in his mid-20s with little or no experience as a movie critic or as a TV talent," or another critic said to be the "female version of tart-tongued former 'American Idol' judge Simon Cowell."
And now we'll just have to keep wondering who the female Cowell was because the 'At the Movies' team decided to go with the young man, Ignatiy Vishnevetsky.
Vishnevetsky might be a new name on the scene, but he's got a slew of solid references. He's a critic and essayist at Mubi.com (previously The Auteurs), which features streaming art-house and foreign films.
He also co-founded Cine-File.info, writes for The Chicago Reader and is a programmer for the University of Chicago's Cine-File Selects series. Having moved to the U.S. from Russia when he was 9, he's also only 24 years old.
Ebert was "struck by the depth and detail of [Ignatiy's] film knowledge, and by how articulate he was," according to his press release.
Cancer surgery may have cost famed film critic Ebert his speech, but his familiar voice was resurrected when he debuted his new synthesized voice on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' in March last year.
Get more at Moviefone.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Gabourey Sidibe attends The American Cancer Society's Choose You luncheon on May 5th in New York City.
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
Amy Sussman, Getty Images
PopScene: Weeks Hottest Pics
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Duran Duran files lawsuit accusing fan club of breach of contract
- Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas bond while filming 'And So It Goes'
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC
- Comic-Con 2014: Image Comics 'Moves Forward' with New Sci-Fi Titles
- Tommy Lee Jones Joins Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman in 'Criminal'
- Jessica Biel to Appear on 'New Girl'
- Here's how ?Supernatural' star Misha Collins is breaking world records
- '80s TV stars sing ?Let It Go'
- John Boyega is 'Aiming' for a Marvel Movie Role
- Dan Aykroyd Assures Us That 'Ghostbusters 3' Will Start Filming Next Spring (VIDEO)
- This Is What 'The Purge: Anarchy' Would Look Like In Canada