Katie Holmes on Jackie O and Taking Fashion Advice From Suri
By Sarah Crow Posted Jan 5th 2011 06:05PM
Katie Holmes' career may occasionally be overshadowed by the over-the-top antics of her husband, Tom Cruise, but in the latest issue of Elle, the actress and mother reminds fans why she's a star in her own right. Holmes, whose relationship with Cruise began just two years after she moved on from her early fame as Joey Potter on 'Dawson's Creek,' tells the magazine that, despite reports to the contrary, their relationship is not only supportive but surprisingly normal.
While researching her role as Jackie O in the upcoming TV miniseries 'The Kennedys,' Holmes says that Cruise spent hours studying footage of the Kennedy family with her to help her embody the iconic first lady. "[Tom] watched everything with me," she says. "He found it fascinating." The actress admits that, despite her excitement to tackle such a challenging role, she was keenly aware of just how difficult it would be. "I worked as hard as I could, because I loved her. On set there was this feeling that we had to create something very special, because these people were very special."
Although Holmes' life and career have been the subject of media scrutiny for over a decade, the actress won't let the pressure of Hollywood get to her. Even the constant presence of paparazzi in her life doesn't concern the seemingly unflappable star. "I don't worry so much. It is what it is, and it's fine. I'll go somewhere because I need to get something done."
What Holmes does consider worthy of her attention is her adorable daughter Suri, who has become both a fashion plate and tabloid staple in the four short years since her birth.
Holmes says that the precocious tot will often provide her with brutally honest critiques of the actress's style. "She'll really tell me [what she thinks]," she says. "Like today I'm wearing brown suede pants, and she said, 'I don't like your pants.' But then she'll say, 'You've got to wear these shoes.' Or 'That's so pretty, Mom. Wear that.' She's got a great eye."
The critiques of the small sartorialist are just one of the many wonders of motherhood to Holmes, who says that her daughter's eye for fashion sometimes surpasses her own. "The other day we came out of a store, and she said, 'I want to go there,' pointing at another store quite a distance away. In that store was the dress that she wanted. I said, 'Wow, Suri. You're something. You picked that out from a football field away.'"
While maternal instincts and a successful career may be a difficult balance for some, Holmes says that her dedication to her family often informs her most successful roles. It was this same passion for parenthood, shared by Jackie O, that prepared Holmes to play the beloved Kennedy matriarch. "She had so much strength," says Holmes. "I loved her love of family, how important it was for her to be a good mother."
► Read the Katie Holmes Elle Cover Story | Shop It Out With Kate | Fave Kate Hairstyle?
MORE ABOUT Katie Holmes
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Katie Holmes Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?
- Jimmy Fallon Unleashes Epic 'Game of Thrones' Parody (Video)
- Cannes: Hollywood Gives Back at Star-Filled AmfAR Gala (Column)
- Jennifer Hudson in Negotiations to Judge 'American Idol'
- Sorry, folks, Jimmy Kimmel didn't really buy that $1.9 million nude Bea Arthur painting
- PopWatch Confessional TV Jukebox edition: What songs do you wish you'd heard on TV this year?
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space
- Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report