Hurley's 'Lost' Numbers Win Money for Thousands of Lottery Players
By Zach Dionne Posted Jan 5th 2011 10:29AM
"Tuesday night's massive Mega Millions drawing had many 'Lost' fans scratching their heads, as four of the six winning numbers were identical to the infamous set of digits from the hit ABC show," our friends at Celebuzz were first to report.
The 'Lost' numbers were 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. The Mega Millions winning combo was 4, 8, 15, 25, 47, 42.
One of the now-finished series' show-runners, Damon Lindelof, tweeted about the coincidence, writing, "9,078 people played Hurley's numbers in the Mega Millions tonight, each winning $150."
Verifying Lindelof's claim is the testimony of Newsweek staffer K. Ryan Jones, who played the 'Lost' numbers -- which were once dubbed the Valenzetti Equation on the extratextual 'Lost' bible known as Lostpedia, if you really want to geek out.
"Do the numbers we chose look familiar?" Jones wrote in a blog post with a photo of the ticket (see left). "That's right, they're from 'LOST'! Nerdy? Sure. But am I rich now because of that nerdiness? Kinda."
Never seen 'Lost'? (Because, face it, if you watched the show, the numbers are embedded in your consciousness like your own birthday.) Watch this crash course on the numbers -- and maybe consider playing them next time you snap up a lottery ticket:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Robert Ri'chard Compares Magic Mike and Chocolate City
- Jason Derulo: Jordin Sparks Split Is "So Behind Me"
- Sarah Stage Poses in Bikini Photo Shoot Five Weeks After Giving Birth, Looks Perfectly Fit: Photos
- '19 Kids and Counting' yanked from TLC's schedule
- 'Bachelorette' Kaitlyn Bristowe: 'Not ashamed' of having sex on the show
- Flavor Flav arrested in Las Vegas on allegations of DUI, marijuana possession, speeding
- Chris Pratt Is Already Apologizing for Anything Offensive He Might Say During Jurassic World Press Tour: ''I Am Just Dumb''
- Brantley Gilbert Talks New Music and Marrying The One Who Almost Got Away
- Pete Davidson Live-Tweets His Harry Potter Movie Marathon: The Boy Who Lived Is ''Dope as F--k''