Hurley's 'Lost' Numbers Win Money for Thousands of Lottery Players
By Zach Dionne Posted Jan 5th 2011 10:29AM
"Tuesday night's massive Mega Millions drawing had many 'Lost' fans scratching their heads, as four of the six winning numbers were identical to the infamous set of digits from the hit ABC show," our friends at Celebuzz were first to report.
The 'Lost' numbers were 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. The Mega Millions winning combo was 4, 8, 15, 25, 47, 42.
One of the now-finished series' show-runners, Damon Lindelof, tweeted about the coincidence, writing, "9,078 people played Hurley's numbers in the Mega Millions tonight, each winning $150."
Verifying Lindelof's claim is the testimony of Newsweek staffer K. Ryan Jones, who played the 'Lost' numbers -- which were once dubbed the Valenzetti Equation on the extratextual 'Lost' bible known as Lostpedia, if you really want to geek out.
"Do the numbers we chose look familiar?" Jones wrote in a blog post with a photo of the ticket (see left). "That's right, they're from 'LOST'! Nerdy? Sure. But am I rich now because of that nerdiness? Kinda."
Never seen 'Lost'? (Because, face it, if you watched the show, the numbers are embedded in your consciousness like your own birthday.) Watch this crash course on the numbers -- and maybe consider playing them next time you snap up a lottery ticket:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kris Jenner, North West Pet Giraffe at San Diego Zoo: Adorable Picture
- Ian Somerhalder, Nikki Reed Move in Together After Three Weeks of Dating
- Stacy Keibler Gives Birth, Jessica Simpson's Killer Legs: Top 5 Friday Stories
- Oops! Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Website Slapped With A Lawsuit: Read The Claims Goop Stole Diet Detective's Name
- Lauren Bacall leaves $10,000 for her beloved dog in will
- Pam Anderson criticizes ALS ice bucket challenge
- Is Cameron Diaz ready to marry rocker Benji Madden?