Hurley's 'Lost' Numbers Win Money for Thousands of Lottery Players
By Zach Dionne Posted Jan 5th 2011 10:29AM
"Tuesday night's massive Mega Millions drawing had many 'Lost' fans scratching their heads, as four of the six winning numbers were identical to the infamous set of digits from the hit ABC show," our friends at Celebuzz were first to report.
The 'Lost' numbers were 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. The Mega Millions winning combo was 4, 8, 15, 25, 47, 42.
One of the now-finished series' show-runners, Damon Lindelof, tweeted about the coincidence, writing, "9,078 people played Hurley's numbers in the Mega Millions tonight, each winning $150."
Verifying Lindelof's claim is the testimony of Newsweek staffer K. Ryan Jones, who played the 'Lost' numbers -- which were once dubbed the Valenzetti Equation on the extratextual 'Lost' bible known as Lostpedia, if you really want to geek out.
"Do the numbers we chose look familiar?" Jones wrote in a blog post with a photo of the ticket (see left). "That's right, they're from 'LOST'! Nerdy? Sure. But am I rich now because of that nerdiness? Kinda."
Never seen 'Lost'? (Because, face it, if you watched the show, the numbers are embedded in your consciousness like your own birthday.) Watch this crash course on the numbers -- and maybe consider playing them next time you snap up a lottery ticket:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bachelorette Guy Cry: See Andi Dorfman's Men at Their Most Emotional
- Martha Stewart Explains Her Friendship with Blake Lively, Says The Actress is "Very Shy in Person"
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Picture of Her Natural, Curly Hair -- See It Here
- Parental Injustice? Jenny McCarthy's Son Has Called The Cops On Her MULTIPLE Times ? Find Out Why!
- All Grown Up! Cole Sprouse Who Played Ben In ?Friends' Is Now 21 ? Proceed To Feel Insanely Old
- Don't Speak! Kendra Wilkinson Still Not Wearing Wedding Ring, Avoids Questions Amidst Family-Ordered Silence
- Kiefer Sutherland's rep responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s complaints about actor
- Anthony Anderson 'Eats America'
- Crazy characters at Comic Con 2014
- I Waited in a Line for 3 Hours at Comic-Con Just to Buy a Sweatshirt
- Elizabeth Banks Thinks She's "Genetically Blessed," Says Working Moms Can Balance Life Better Than Working Dads
- Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino Agrees to 12 Weeks of Anger Management in Tanning Salon Assault Case