Back Off, Ladies: Johnny Weir Is Gay
By Sarah Crow Posted Jan 6th 2011 03:00PM
AfterElton reports that Weir has finally admitted that he is gay after years of dodging the issue in the press. In 2006, when asked about his sexuality by a fan on his website, Weir responded, "I don't feel the need to express my sexual being because it's not part of my sport and it's private. I can sleep with whomever I choose and it doesn't affect what I'm doing on the ice."
However, in excerpts given to PEOPLE from in his upcoming memoir, 'Welcome to My World,' Weir writes, "With people killing themselves and being scared into the closet, I hope that even just one person can gain strength from my story."
The skater now openly declares, "In a sexual way, I'm gay."
Despite his recent frankness, in this week's question and answer session on his site, Weir told fans the question he wishes people would stop asking him is, "Do you do all this for attention, or are you really just born this way?" He responded: "I do what I want and how I want because I was born to live my life."
The star's theatrical skating style and fashion-forward looks caused many to question his sexuality throughout his career, even prompting cruel comments from Quebecois sports broadcasters Claude Mailhot and Alain Goldberg, who suggested that Weir "sets a bad example" for young male skaters. Mailhot even went as far as to say that Weir should undergo gender testing and that he should skate against female competitors.
Disappointed, but undeterred, Weir told PEOPLE, "It wasn't these two men criticizing my skating, it was them criticizing me as a person. ... Masculinity is what you believe it to be."
In his book, Weir admits to not only being comfortable with himself, but living his life with pride. "I'm not ashamed to be me. More than anyone else I know, I love my life and accept myself," he writes. "What's wrong with being unique? I am proud of everything that I am and will become."
- Filed under:
- Good News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bill Cosby Under Police Investigation Amid Rape Allegations, More Women Claim Abuse: Report
- Ben McKenzie Admits to Using Handcuffs in Bed With a Woman, Talks Dating Regrets
- Will The Interview Ever Be Released? Sony Pictures Posts New Seth Rogen, James Franco Trailer
- Paramount won't let theaters screen 'Team America: World Police"
- 'The Interview' was originally scripted with fake country, fake leader's name
- Ex-'Sons of Guns' star Will Hayden indicted on rape charges
- The Colbert Report Ends With A Fight With Death, A Huge Celeb Sing-Along & Abraham Lincoln the Unicorn
- George Clooney on Sony Pulling The Interview: Kim Jong Un, ''of all F--king People,'' Is Telling Us What We Can Watch
- Who's Pressuring Tiffani Thiessen to Get Pregnant Again?! White Collar Star Talks Planning for Baby No. 2