Aretha Franklin: 'The Problem Has Been Resolved'
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 7th 2011 06:27AM
Ailing soul legend Aretha Franklin wants her fans to know she is "feeling great and coming along," but sees no need to address reports that she has been stricken with pancreatic cancer. "I am not going to even deal with that," she tells JET magazine in her first interview since falling ill. "I don't have to talk about my health with anybody other than my doctors. The problem has been resolved."
Just what has been resolved is still unclear, and with Franklin taking a hard stance on what she's willing to divulge, fans may be left in the dark for quite a while longer.
"There are a lot of people who will talk about anything, as long as there is somebody listening," she says. "But I am not one of those people. That's not Aretha."
The 'Respect' singer, 68, said she remembers having a "very hard pain in my side" while singing in Toronto last year. She initially thought the pain was due to a colonoscopy she had a day or two before.
"I got up at 2 o'clock in the morning and called the doctor who did the colonoscopy and told him what was happening. He said, 'Miss Franklin, whatever it is, it is not from the colonoscopy. You need to come home and have a CAT-scan.' Thank God he said that because that unfolded everything, what the problem was and everything."
Before doctors finally found out what was wrong with her, Franklin recalls telling herself, "I know there is a problem, but these tests are showing nothing."
Franklin thanked her fans for all their prayers and cards and asked for continued privacy "as I continue to recover." And while her first words since getting sick come as a welcome surprise, fans eager to know more about what is wrong with her are sure to be worried.
"I know my fans are concerned. Let them know I am feeling great and coming along."
This is the first news on Franklin's condition since a "highly successful" surgery on Dec. 2. Earlier, she announced she was canceling all concert dates and personal appearances through May on the order of her doctors. An unnamed family friend told a Detroit-area TV station that Franklin is battling some form of cancer. A National Enquirer report claimed she had been stricken with pancreatic cancer.
It was a difficult 2010 for Franklin. Her adult son Eddie was beaten by three men at a Detroit gas station in September. A month earlier, she broke her ribs in a fall, causing her to miss two free concerts in New York.
Franklin, born in Memphis and raised in Detroit, is the singer of hits like 'Respect,' 'Chain of Fools' and '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.'
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Lucy' tops 'Hercules' with $44M at the box office
- Casey Kasem's kids think wife has boyfriend in Montreal; may have dad's body there on ice
- Joan Rivers slams Selena Gomez for ?Pray for Gaza' post
- Comic-Con 2014: Charlize Theron Looks Tough in ?Mad Max: Fury Road' Trailer
- Check Out 'Lucy' Star Scarlett Johansson's Sexiest Moments!
- Rihanna ?Fears for Physical Safety' After Man Caught at Her NYC Apartment
- Scheana Marie Marries Michael Shay: Details on the Vanderpump Rules Star's Wedding
- Real Housewives of New Jersey Episode 3 Recap: Amber Marchese Stirs Up Drama With Twins, Milania Guidice Turns Up the Sass
- Jessica Simpson's Son Ace Plays With CaCee Cobb's Son Rocco, Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Dresses Baby Bump in Nautical Outfit: Top 5 Weekend Stories