J.K. Rowling Cleared in Plagiarism Case
By Sarah Crow Posted Jan 7th 2011 04:30PM
U.S. judge Shira Scheindlin has dismissed claims that the author copied another writer in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,' the fourth book in her popular series.
Reuters reports that the estate of deceased author Adrian Jacobs previously asserted that Rowling had borrowed from Jacobs' 1987 book 'Willy the Wizard - No 1 Livid Land.'
Jacobs' estate alleged that Rowling had used, among other lifted material, the ideas of wizards traveling on trains and competing against one another in wizardry contests.
Scholastic, which publishes Rowling's books in the U.S., said of Scheindlin's ruling, "The Court's swift dismissal supports our position that the case was completely without merit and that comparing Willy the Wizard to the Harry Potter series was absurd."
In her decision, Scheindlin wrote, "The contrast between the total concept and feel of the works is so stark that any serious comparison of the two strains credulity."
While Jacobs died "penniless" in London in 1997, Rowling has turned her books into a multibillion-dollar franchise, including merchandise, supplementary books and a popular film series starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ex-Miss Nevada Katherine Reese busted again for meth possession, report says
- 'Airplane Repo' star Mike Kennedy: Community overreacting to escaped King Cobra
- Video resurfaces of Jared Fogle commenting on 'To Catch a Predator'
- James Franco to Teach High School Film Course
- Watch 'Empire's' New Season 2 Promo
- Queen Elizabeth Found a Mistake in 'Downton Abbey'
Access HollywoodFEEDMore From Access Hollywood Li
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Steve Is Breaking Up Liztin, Bless Him
- Emily Ratajkowski Is Sick of 'Blurred Lines': 'It's the Bane of My Existence'
- Sorry, New 'Walking Dead' Season 6 Spoilers Hint to Gregory, Not Negan