J.K. Rowling Cleared in Plagiarism Case
By Sarah Crow Posted Jan 7th 2011 04:30PM
U.S. judge Shira Scheindlin has dismissed claims that the author copied another writer in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,' the fourth book in her popular series.
Reuters reports that the estate of deceased author Adrian Jacobs previously asserted that Rowling had borrowed from Jacobs' 1987 book 'Willy the Wizard - No 1 Livid Land.'
Jacobs' estate alleged that Rowling had used, among other lifted material, the ideas of wizards traveling on trains and competing against one another in wizardry contests.
Scholastic, which publishes Rowling's books in the U.S., said of Scheindlin's ruling, "The Court's swift dismissal supports our position that the case was completely without merit and that comparing Willy the Wizard to the Harry Potter series was absurd."
In her decision, Scheindlin wrote, "The contrast between the total concept and feel of the works is so stark that any serious comparison of the two strains credulity."
While Jacobs died "penniless" in London in 1997, Rowling has turned her books into a multibillion-dollar franchise, including merchandise, supplementary books and a popular film series starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ali Lohan reportedly launching country music career
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Tree planted in memory of George Harrison felled ... by beetles
- USA's 'Dig' Moves From Israel to Albuquerque Amid Gaza Strip Conflict
- PBS Chief Paula Kerger Talks 'Sherlock,' Streaming and Cable's Exit From Education
- Average Movie Ticket Price Hits $8.33 in Second Quarter
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Toronto Film Festival 2014: Big Movies, Lineup Announced
- How Will 'Sons of Anarchy' End? Even Showrunner Kurt Sutter Isn't Sure
- 'Wish I Was Here' Star Ashley Greene Wants You to Check Out These 5 TV Shows & Movies