J.K. Rowling Cleared in Plagiarism Case
By Sarah Crow Posted Jan 7th 2011 04:30PM
U.S. judge Shira Scheindlin has dismissed claims that the author copied another writer in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,' the fourth book in her popular series.
Reuters reports that the estate of deceased author Adrian Jacobs previously asserted that Rowling had borrowed from Jacobs' 1987 book 'Willy the Wizard - No 1 Livid Land.'
Jacobs' estate alleged that Rowling had used, among other lifted material, the ideas of wizards traveling on trains and competing against one another in wizardry contests.
Scholastic, which publishes Rowling's books in the U.S., said of Scheindlin's ruling, "The Court's swift dismissal supports our position that the case was completely without merit and that comparing Willy the Wizard to the Harry Potter series was absurd."
In her decision, Scheindlin wrote, "The contrast between the total concept and feel of the works is so stark that any serious comparison of the two strains credulity."
While Jacobs died "penniless" in London in 1997, Rowling has turned her books into a multibillion-dollar franchise, including merchandise, supplementary books and a popular film series starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- One Direction, Katy Perry each win three American Music Awards
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- AMAs Beauty: Fergie's Hair Makes a Comeback, Too
- Black is the New Black: Dark Manicures Abound on the AMAs Red Carpet
- AMAs Fashion: 10 Little Black Dresses We Love
- Cameron Diaz hosts ?Saturday Night Live' this weekend ? talk about it here!
- You can now buy the original ?Wizard of Oz' Cowardly Lion costume ? if you're a millionaire
- This Week on Stage: Hugh Jackman, Glenn Close and ?Side Show' storm Broadway's busiest fall week
- Weekend Box Office: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1' Soars to the Top Spot
- 10 of the Greatest Movie Transformations Ever
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Family Review: 5 Things Every Parent Should Know