Ted Haggard Scores Reality Special on TLC
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 7th 2011 07:11AM
Aptly titled 'Ted Haggard: Scandalous,' the show will presumably show how the pastor and his family rebuilt their lives since his epic fall in late 2006. It will also serve as a bit of a public relations device and document his announcement of a new ministry in Colorado Springs, Colo. The special airs Jan. 16.
"My family and I endured the darkest hours imaginable in the public spotlight, and have spent the last four years fighting and struggling to rebuild our lives, our faith and our family," says Haggard in a statement to Entertainment Weekly.
The preacher, known as Pastor Ted to his followers, was the leader of the 30-million strong National Association of Evangelicals and head of the New Life Church in Colorado Springs when a male prostitute-masseur named Mike Jones alleged that Haggard had paid him for sex as well as crystal meth.
The pastor quit his post at the NAE and eventually left New Life. Since then, he's been getting therapy and has called himself a "heterosexual with issues." He remains married, and he and his wife Gayle have five children.
Haggard tells EW that he hopes "showing the world the new chapter of our lives will hopefully inspire others to find their own path to overcome their struggles and embrace the power of acceptance."
He says that if he can be redeemed, then anyone can. "The church is open to all, even those who have committed the darkest sins."
'Ted Haggard: Scandalous' is being produced by RelativityReal, makers of 'Broke & Famous' and 'Find My Family.' If successful, it could lead to more episodes down the road. (Dare we suggest a camping trip with TLC-mate Palin?)
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Taraji P. Henson Walks Back Racial Profiling Statement, Apologizes on Instagram
- Kate Hudson on Ex-Fiance Matthew Bellamy: "We're Family For the Rest of Our Lives"
- TLC's Bride By Design Premiere: How Does Wedding Dress Designer Heidi Elnora Keep the Peace?
- Craig Morgan on MSNBC guest's criticism of country music: Comment was 'ignorant'
- Lena Dunham called anti-Semitic for article titled 'Dog or Jewish Boyfriend?'
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Gwen Stefani's Dad Gets Temporary Restraining Order to Protect Family From Alleged Stalker
- Fergie Turns 40: See the Sweet Message Hubby Josh Duhamel Sent for Her Birthday!
- Prince Harry Catches a Performance of Ex Cressida Bonas' Play as First Anniversary of Breakup Nears: What Does It All Mean?!