Ted Haggard Scores Reality Special on TLC
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 7th 2011 07:11AM
Aptly titled 'Ted Haggard: Scandalous,' the show will presumably show how the pastor and his family rebuilt their lives since his epic fall in late 2006. It will also serve as a bit of a public relations device and document his announcement of a new ministry in Colorado Springs, Colo. The special airs Jan. 16.
"My family and I endured the darkest hours imaginable in the public spotlight, and have spent the last four years fighting and struggling to rebuild our lives, our faith and our family," says Haggard in a statement to Entertainment Weekly.
The preacher, known as Pastor Ted to his followers, was the leader of the 30-million strong National Association of Evangelicals and head of the New Life Church in Colorado Springs when a male prostitute-masseur named Mike Jones alleged that Haggard had paid him for sex as well as crystal meth.
The pastor quit his post at the NAE and eventually left New Life. Since then, he's been getting therapy and has called himself a "heterosexual with issues." He remains married, and he and his wife Gayle have five children.
Haggard tells EW that he hopes "showing the world the new chapter of our lives will hopefully inspire others to find their own path to overcome their struggles and embrace the power of acceptance."
He says that if he can be redeemed, then anyone can. "The church is open to all, even those who have committed the darkest sins."
'Ted Haggard: Scandalous' is being produced by RelativityReal, makers of 'Broke & Famous' and 'Find My Family.' If successful, it could lead to more episodes down the road. (Dare we suggest a camping trip with TLC-mate Palin?)
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Legally Blonde is Coming to Netflix! Plus More May Releases
- Bruce Jenner's Diane Sawyer Interview: Laverne Cox and More Celebs Embrace His Bravery -- Read Their Reactions Here
- Bruce Jenner E! Documentary Confirmed Following His Emotional Confession ? Get All the Details on the Eight-Part One-Hour Docuseries
- Lena Dunham: 'When I was raped, I felt powerless'
- Scarlett Johansson says it was hard being married to another actor
- Bruce Jenner reveals that he is a Republican
- Transgender Representation in the Media: Why Shifting the Paradigm Matters—And How It Brings ''Hope''
- Elsa Hosk the New Victoria's Secret Angel? Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Kate Upton and 8 More Models We Want to See With Wings!
- Everything We Learned From Bruce Jenner's Candid Diane Sawyer Interview