Countess LuAnn de Lesseps Calls Daughter's N-Word Use 'Unacceptable'
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 10th 2011 01:02PM
EXCLUSIVE: 'Real Housewives of New York City' star Countess LuAnn de Lesseps calls her 16-year-old daughter's use of the N-word in a YouTube video "unacceptable" and tells PopEater in an exclusive statement that she'll use this setback to teach Victoria about the consequences of her actions.
"I am the parent of a teenager, and as any parent can attest, teenagers go through periods of doing things that are wrong and not appropriate and that are later regretted," she tells me. "My daughter Victoria knows that the behavior she exhibited was unacceptable. I have chosen to deal with this as a private family matter and an opportunity to discuss consequences of our actions."
Fellow 'Housewife' Ramona Singer leaked the incident to a wide audience when she took to Twitter to spread a shocking claim that Victoria was spotted in a video using drugs, dropping the N-word and causing quite a stir.
"The countess's daughter rolling a cigarette swearing n***er! fast forward to 4.12!!!," Ramona tweeted about the YouTube video.
Both tweet and video have now disappeared (see a screengrab here), and an apologetic Ramona told me, "I'm not very tech savvy, and [I'm] heartbroken that I accidentally retweeted this. I called Luann and Victoria immediately to apologize and tell them to remove the video. Regardless of our catfights on the show, our children are off-limits."
Although, at last night's 40th anniversary gala kickoff for New York Foundation for the Arts, hosted by 'Housewives' stars Simon van Kempen and Alex McCord, I was reminded that cast members' children have not always been off-limits to other stars.
"None of us are perfect, and sometimes we all tweet or retweet a little too hastily," Simon told me. "But it would be a little duplicitous for LuAnn to complain too much about Ramona's regretful retweet when both she and Jill Zarin had great fun lambasting our oldest son throughout the third season."
Wife Alex added, "In the four years we've been involved with 'Real Housewives,' neither Simon nor I have ever said anything negative about any other castmates' children. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for many others on the show."
Interestingly, Ramona also attended the event, but to hear what she has to say about the Twitter-gate she created, you will just have to watch the show. Yes, Bravo cameras were present.
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Highbrow -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- Exclusives -
- Naughty But Nice With Rob Shuter
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kristen Bell Wears Floral Dress Over Baby Bump to Premiere?See Her Latest Maternity Style!
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck Talks Rosie O'Donnell's Return to The View: "I Wish Them Well"
- Kerry Washington Reveals What's in Olivia Pope's Purse, Her Style and Beauty Must-Haves
- Golden Years: David Bowie A Sexual Wild-man In Earlier Days, According To New Book
- King Kanye! West’s Krazy Rules For Kim Exposed
- Look Who's Talking! John Travolta Calls Gay Rumors ?Every Celebrity’s Achilles Heel,' Not Bothered By Chatter He ?Can't Control'
- Ecuador's PR firm reportedly spent more than $500G on celebrity endorsements
- U2 haters prompt Apple to release tool to remove free album
- Did Iggy Azalea sign away rights to sex tape?