Johnny Weir 'Waited for Love' to Lose Virginity
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 10th 2011 11:50AM
Johnny Weir finally admits he's gay in his new autobiography, 'Welcome to My World,' and the 'Skating With the Stars' judge revealed to me recently that readers should expect candid talk about his personal life.
"I delve into a lot of the nitty-gritty about my sex life, which people have been waiting for, but I wanted to wait until I could tell it in my own words," the Olympic skater said on my HDNet show, 'Naughty But Nice With Rob.'
So, he talks about his first time? "Well yes, I talk about waiting for love for [losing] my virginity. ... I waited."
Watch our chat -- discussion of the book starts at 1:27.
In 'Welcome to My World,' Johnny explains why he waited so long to speak publicly about his sexuality and addresses the bashing he's taken over the years from gay-centric blogs.
"I'm not ashamed to be me. More than anyone else I know, I love my life and accept myself. What's wrong with being unique? I am proud of everything that I am and will become," Johnny writes. "All the gay websites couldn't figure out why I was such a jerk that I wouldn't talk about it."
He writes that all the pressure to come out from total strangers didn't help matters.
"Pressure is the last thing that would make me want to 'join' a community. ... The massive backlash against me in the gay media and community only made me dig my 'closeted' heels in further."
One person he didn't keep his identity hidden from was his mother, whom he came out to at age 18.
"No mother wants to hear her son say he's gay," Weir says in the excerpt. "Those two words rip the picture of a daughter-in-law and grandchildren into pieces. I felt sorry for my mom and wanted her to know everything was going to be all right. But then she said, 'I don't really care, Johnny, as long as I know that you are going to be happy.'"
Tuesday is a big day for Johnny Weir fans. While you're online buying 'Welcome to My World' for that Kindle you just got for Christmas, be sure to pick up a copy of his single, 'Dirty Love,' on iTunes.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Miranda Kerr, Kim Kardashian and Emily Blunt Do Denim-on-Denim: How to Wear the Trend
- Magic in the Moonlight Review: Emma Stone, Colin Firth Have "Chemistry," Yet Woody Allen's Film Is "Fluffier Than a Croissant"
- Taylor Swift Recalls Embarrassing School Pictures: "My Style Forever Was Going to Be Cornrows"
- Jimmy Fallon & Dwayne Johnson’s Workout Videos
- Rachel McAdams Shines at Premiere of ‘A Most Wanted Man’ at the Museum of Modern Art
- First Look Behind The Scenes of the Whitney Houston Movie
- Snoop Dogg: I smoked weed 'in the bathroom' at the White House
- 'Cheers' star Rhea Perlman will play Danny's mom on 'The Mindy Project'
- 'Downton Abbey' cast give some hints on Season 5